Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee starting/idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee starting/idle problems

Hello all, I have had a problem for the last few weeks with my 96 XJ. It has trouble starting, and I have to wait about 30 minutes in between starts for it to be able to turn on normally. When it sits in idle for about 5 minutes, it sounds like it is choking, and smells like the fuel it's getting is extremely rich. It also lags on occasion, especially when you use a lot of throttle. I have replaced spark plugs, both o2 sensors, spark plug wires, throttle body sensor, and a few more small things. I was thinking that I might need to buy a new map sensor, or re do fuel injectors. Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 PM

Year: 2000 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Have you changed your fuel pressure regulator? Also is your temperature guage working properly? I once had a similar problem and I changed many sensors it ended up being the temp sensor.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:30 PM

My temp gauge works flawlessly, I'll give the fuel pressure regulator a try though. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

On our 96's the fuel pressure regulator and pump are one unit located in the fuel tank.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Justenolson
Hello all, I have had a problem for the last few weeks with my 96 XJ. It has trouble starting, and I have to wait about 30 minutes in between starts for it to be able to turn on normally. When it sits in idle for about 5 minutes, it sounds like it is choking, and smells like the fuel it's getting is extremely rich. It also lags on occasion, especially when you use a lot of throttle. I have replaced spark plugs, both o2 sensors, spark plug wires, throttle body sensor, and a few more small things. I was thinking that I might need to buy a new map sensor, or re do fuel injectors. Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Is your MAP sensor mounted on the firewall?

If so, check the integrity of the vacuum line going to it.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Esechuy
Have you changed your fuel pressure regulator? Also is your temperature guage working properly? I once had a similar problem and I changed many sensors it ended up being the temp sensor.
So, you're suggesting he fire up the "parts cannon" rather than diagnose?
Attached Images