Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee stalls when temp gage gobes down

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee stalls when temp gage gobes down

Hi guys i have a 2001 4l Cherokee sport it runs fine and temp gage is in the middle but then my temp gage takes a drop and the engine stops when i try to start again it take the gaz peddle to the floor to get it going but runs extremely rough any ideas thanks
Old 07-10-2017, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I do have an idea.

Punctuation is not optional. You aren't texting with your buds. You are asking people to give of their time and effort to help you. If you too lazy to even try to post a question properly, why should anyone bother?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Do all other gauges seem normal when this happens?

Your symptoms have the hallmarks of a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. It is a relatively cheap and simple sensor that sits in your thermostat housing near the front of the motor. When it is failing, it can cause the motor to run extra rich (not the only thing that can go wrong, but common).

Flooring the pedal does two things. At start up, it puts the vehicle in "clear flood" mode which cranks the engines without allowing fuel injector pulses so that extra fuel can be ejected from the ignition chambers. Flooring the pedal after the vehicle is started causes the computer to use a bunch of "hard coded" values instead of reading dynamic values from sensors such as the coolant temperature sensor.

You can use a multimeter set to ohms/resistance mode and unplug the engine coolant sensor connector and place the probes on the 2 small pins in the sensor. It should read a resistance of somewhere in the following ball park.

185 - 7,500 Ohms. (lower resistance means its hotter). If it is over 70F degrees where you are you definitely shouldn't see Ohms greater than 25k. This would indicate that something is wrong with the sensor. Typically, if the sensor can not be seen by the computer, the computer will throw an engine code of some sort.

Do you have a Check Engine Light on right now?

Last edited by jordan96xj; 07-10-2017 at 07:07 PM.