Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee making noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cherokee making noise

jeep was leaking oil very bad, replaced rear main seal and oil pan casket. needed a water pump and the starter was beginning to drag so replaced both. this was done by a local mechanic. here is my trouble:
when cranking makes an awful noise then you can barley hear it. low oil pressure after warming up like falling to nothing. a friend told me it was the mains. does this make any sense and i did a search and read that it could be the flex plate. like i said, on the old starter i would have to hit it a couple of times with a hammer for it to crank . any help would do. thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

if the mains are worn it will cause issues with oil pressure. but i would get a mechanical gauge on it so you can get an idea what is going on before throwing money at it
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

Originally Posted by outerbanker1
jeep was leaking oil very bad, replaced rear main seal and oil pan casket. needed a water pump and the starter was beginning to drag so replaced both. this was done by a local mechanic. here is my trouble:
when cranking makes an awful noise then you can barley hear it. low oil pressure after warming up like falling to nothing. a friend told me it was the mains. does this make any sense and i did a search and read that it could be the flex plate. like i said, on the old starter i would have to hit it a couple of times with a hammer for it to crank . any help would do. thanks
First question... Did it have low oil pressure before he did the work?
#2... How many miles are on it? Some Cherokee oil pumps give up between 120K and 160K miles. Usually a gradual process, not catastrophic failure... You would notice this because your oil pressure gage would tell the tale.
If you had low oil pressure going in to this the pump could have easily been replaced when he replaced the pan gasket. He could have removed a bearing cap and inspected one or more of the lower bearings for wear. Even though none of those things were done it's not too big of a deal to pull the pan again.
Since I assume your starter wasn't making noise before this have him check that as well. They need both bolts installed properly or they can produce a schreeching sound on startup. Post more information so we can help further.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by Mike1998XJ
First question... Did it have low oil pressure before he did the work?
#2... How many miles are on it? Some Cherokee oil pumps give up between 120K and 160K miles. Usually a gradual process, not catastrophic failure... You would notice this because your oil pressure gage would tell the tale.
If you had low oil pressure going in to this the pump could have easily been replaced when he replaced the pan gasket. He could have removed a bearing cap and inspected one or more of the lower bearings for wear. Even though none of those things were done it's not too big of a deal to pull the pan again.
Since I assume your starter wasn't making noise before this have him check that as well. They need both bolts installed properly or they can produce a schreeching sound on startup. Post more information so we can help further.
x2