Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee cheif cuts out around 2500 (problem narrowed) also stuck in 4hi

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default cherokee cheif cuts out around 2500 (problem narrowed) also stuck in 4hi

A picture of it with its buddy the blown head MK3 supra
Hello everyone I recently bought a 87 2door 5spd Cheif.

First i will ask some questions on the 4wd problem
I bought it knowing it was stuck in 4hi

So far i have done a Transfer case flush

tried the slow roll in revers, then back and fourth and so on

Also tried the turning in revers (was told that if this doesnt get it to pop then the transfer case is shot) It did not get it to pop into rwd

Any ideas for me to try or is it time to buy a new case or a case rebuild kit? Is there a better case i can put on for relatively the same cost?

When i bought it, it drove awesome (granted i dident drive over 35 due to the 4hi) but it drove awesome....until after i paid for it and started the 15mile drive home It feels like its cutting fuel at 2500rpms even when parked in neutral it just sputters and dies if you rev to 2500.

So after alot of reading I find out another guy has the same problem and he traced it to a clogged air filter, I see that there is a box for a brand new air filter and imidatly think ohh the guy screwed me and knew there was a problem. Sure enough i open it up and its brand new filter clogged with oil.

Now on to my question.....What is that valve on my valve cover going to my air filter box, could it be defective or broken? Why is my airfilter sucking oil from my valve cover? Is this a big big issue or a 80$ ebay snorkel and its fixed

a small puddle of oil in my air box

just to show how wet it is from oil

oil on new filter

what is that plastic plug called and where can i buy one?

is this O:E the plug? also there is oil all over the little (tree-idk the name of it) thats holding the hose from the valve cover to the back of the air box
what is that plastic plug called and where can i buy one, the one on the valve cover. It looks yellow in this picture