Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Checking dana 30 front wheel hub assembly and found differential issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Checking dana 30 front wheel hub assembly and found differential issues.

1993 jeep xj sport. I have a whining, grinding front end so I jacked it up to start checking the wheel bearings and breaks, starting with the drivers side. No 12/6 play so I turned the wheel to listen and realized there is a popping in the axle. It is not the ujoint, that would have been much better. I can hear it in the axle housing and diff. I checked the play at the front driveshaft and pinion flange, solid..no play. I took the front driveshaft off, put my hand on the pinion flange and turned the tire and I can feel a very clear popping and jumping. The feel and sound are apparent both there and at the junction of the axle shaft housing and diff. It's clear to me that I have something major going south in my diff.
I cannot regear at home and wouldn't want to try anyhow. It's full of gear oil, no leak. No metal on magnetic screwdriver tip. Is there anything I should check before taking it in? Could the pinion nut torque be off? One of you vets give me something to try! 😎

Last edited by 3eyedsquirrel; 07-22-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: More clear title
Old 07-22-2017, 05:26 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by 3eyedsquirrel
1993 jeep xj sport. I have a whining, grinding front end so I jacked it up to start checking the wheel bearings and breaks, starting with the drivers side. No 12/6 play so I turned the wheel to listen and realized there is a popping in the axle. It is not the ujoint, that would have been much better. I can hear it in the axle housing and diff. I checked the play at the front driveshaft and pinion flange, solid..no play. I took the front driveshaft off, put my hand on the pinion flange and turned the tire and I can feel a very clear popping and jumping. The feel and sound are apparent both there and at the junction of the axle shaft housing and diff. It's clear to me that I have something major going south in my diff.
I cannot regear at home and wouldn't want to try anyhow. It's full of gear oil, no leak. No metal on magnetic screwdriver tip. Is there anything I should check before taking it in? Could the pinion nut torque be off? One of you vets give me something to try! 😎
Pop the cover, drain the fluid, and put some eyeballs on it. Easy enough to do, and you're only out the cost of gasket/sealant and fluid.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Pop the cover, drain the fluid, and put some eyeballs on it. Easy enough to do, and you're only out the cost of gasket/sealant and fluid.
Just finished doing that. The pinion gear is slipping...i can make it slip by just turning the driveshaft flange. Bummer. Do you think I should see if the pinion nut is torqued correctly or just throw in the towel and take it in?
Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 3eyedsquirrel
Just finished doing that. The pinion gear is slipping...i can make it slip by just turning the driveshaft flange. Bummer. Do you think I should see if the pinion nut is torqued correctly or just throw in the towel and take it in?
Any visible damage to the ring gear? Does the pinion have any play? Spider gears look okay?

Short of that, pull the axle shafts and look at the splines, but at that point, if you aren't comfy doing that much work, take it in...
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Any visible damage to the ring gear? Does the pinion have any play? Spider gears look okay?

Short of that, pull the axle shafts and look at the splines, but at that point, if you aren't comfy doing that much work, take it in...
There's visible damage to the ring gear in the form of one chip on a tooth. Couldn't find the pieces but there is a lot of metal flake. I pulled the axle shafts and they are fine. Crap. Thanks for your help...think it's time to call a gear guy. I had a feeling but thought I'd check some of you guys with more experience.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM

Yup, and I'm wagering the pinion gear is gonna look worse than the ring gear,LOL...tough luck, bud. But at least you got after it and verified, now to just find a good driveline shop....
Old 07-22-2017, 06:16 PM

One last thing, if you need it sooner rather than later, you could always get an axle out of a donor vehicle...running stock gears?

Look for a suitable donor on CL or in the JY...could get you by for a while, just a thought
Old 07-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

how long have you owned it, drivin it b4 this happened?
Old 07-23-2017, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

If it were me, and rebuilding at home wasn't an option, I would buy another axle. Pick N' Pull sells a front axle for $260 out the door (taxes and core, core refundable), ~$125 on a half off sale. AMMCO offers free quotes / diagnostics. Take it to them and see what they say it needs, they quote you big money then pull the trigger on another axle. Pull the axle from a 95+ and you will have stronger u joints on the axle shafts.

My opinion, most front axles on these XJs are going to be in great shape because they don't get used. Buy one, replace the ball joints, suspension bushings, and shoot it with a fresh coat of paint. Much easier to replace the components on the axle on a work bench. One for one swap of the axle will take an afternoon.