Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Changing Plugs..removing coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Changing Plugs..removing coil packs

I searched but could not find anything and my Haynes has nothing on this either.
I have a slight misfire at idle on my 2000 4.0l , I was going to have a look at the plugs but they are hidden behind the coil packs (obviously).
Is there a right way of removing the coil packs to get at the plugs?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Remove the bolts holding the coil pack rail down, then slowly pull off the coil rail. It will probably take a little bit of muscle so be careful.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 strait 6

Just got my Jeep used and decided to change the plugs along with other things. Got the book and it said to remove the 4 bolts on the coil pack like most other threads I've seen except mine doesn't have four bolts it instead has a bracket mounted to a bolt sticking out the second hole from the back where one of the bolts should be and secured to a bolt under the coil pack in the head. I removed that changed the spark plugs and noticed there are no holes for 4 bolts at all. Is this normal?? Bigger problem still, when putting the bracket back on I broke the bolt that went into the head and broke the retractor in that bolt. Doh!!! So now there is no bolts or bracket holding the coil pack. It runs fine just worried about the coil pack dislodging from the spark plus from vibrations and bumps. Thinking about bending the bracket a bit and putting it one coil pack bolt hole back then attaching it to the engine ground bolt under the coil pack. looks like that would work. Guess my main question is if anyone else has this bracket and lack of bolt holes if not possible reasons I would. Also if anyone sees any problems mounting the bracket to the ground bolt.