Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Changed brakes, passenger tire locks up?!?! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Changed brakes, passenger tire locks up?!?! Please help

My dad and I changed the rotors, calibers, and brake pads on my 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4L. The rotors spins but has a little bit of rub on the new brake pads. With the tires on, both sides spin but as soon as we tighten down the lug nuts the wheel locks up and won't spin. In drive, it locks up and won't spin.They both spun just fine until the new parts we put on. We both have no idea what's going on. Any advice would be highly appreciated
Old 03-03-2017, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Rotors are incorrect.Take an old one and new, lay them flat on a level surface, you'll see a difference in thickness of about 1/8".
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } ** You need to match the disk brake rotor dimensions to the unit bearing/hub type and measurements currently on your XJ. **

Cast iron replacement rotor blanks can be machined to composite rotor measurements. Therefore, you must measure your current rotors, and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing. Previous owners or a repair shop may have installed different type replacement parts. It is possible to have one old type and one new type unit hub.

If your hubs and rotors are not type matched, cast vs. composite, there will be interference between the two parts, the tire/wheel assembly will be bound up and not move freely, and the Jeep will not move.

Lay your old rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor. Be aware that your rotors may have been replaced previously and may have a different physical appearance than described below. The physical dimensions will be the same as noted.

Factory original Composite construction rotors had a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together. ( Nearly all factory installed composite construction rotors have been replaced with cast iron replacement rotors that have been machined to composite rotor dimensions. Do not simply look at your rotors and assume you have a certain type, measure them.)

- Cast vs. Composite Dimensions -

Composite dimension rotors had an overall height of 3 3/16". Cast iron replacement rotors can be machined to composite rotor dimensions, which is why you have to measure the parts you have, and the parts you are purchasing. Composite construction rotors had a thin sheet metal like appearance at the holes where the lug nut studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area.

Cast dimension rotors are thicker at the lug nut stud holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have an overall height of 3 1/16".

*** Replacement rotors can be machined to Composite or Cast dimensions. Therefore, you cannot rely on appearance alone, you must measure your current rotors and compare the dimensions to the replacement rotors at the auto parts store before purchasing. ***

If your hubs and rotors are not matched by type, there will be interference between the two parts, the tire/wheel assembly will be bound up and not move freely, and the Jeep will not move.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hoping the above is helpful. It's cut/paste from an article I have saved.

Tim
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes extremely helpful! Thank you both so much for replying. The Jeep is at my dad's garage but first thing tomorrow I will look into that!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

just

Last edited by nujeepguy; 04-22-2017 at 11:21 PM.