Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Change your transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6cyl
Default Change your transmission filter

I changed my transmission fluid one day and didn't change the transmission filter because I was lazy. The beast ran fine for about 6 months then all of a sudden it would kick into overdrive real hard. I thought maybe the transmission was going out and realized my lazy *** didn't change the filter. I changed it, added new fluid and now no buck into overdrive. CHANGE THE FILTER TOO!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

How hard is it to do? I am wanting to do it, but I am somewhat scared.

What tools and parts are needed?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Fairly simple task. Drain tranny pan, take out all bolts, think they were 10mm pull cover unbolt filter. Make sure everything looks good within the tranny check for metal shards and possible speedo gear shavings, mine was clogged with it and wouldn't let my jeep go more than a mile before cutting out.

Scrap old gasket or silicone. Place new filter and gaskets, silicone as a gasket for the pan and bolt her up fill her up. Change through the gears inpecting any misc differences. Make sure shes not leaking anywhere. And you should be set to go. while ur down there take off the inspection plate at the bell housing and check your converter or flywheel for any damage and or metal shaving. Check the bolts to ive been seeing that the like to work there way loose and fall out. Also look at the rear main seal for any leaks. You would see oil some where in the housing
Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
Fairly simple task. Drain tranny pan, take out all bolts, think they were 10mm pull cover unbolt filter. Make sure everything looks good within the tranny check for metal shards and possible speedo gear shavings, mine was clogged with it and wouldn't let my jeep go more than a mile before cutting out.

Scrap old gasket or silicone. Place new filter and gaskets, silicone as a gasket for the pan and bolt her up fill her up. Change through the gears inpecting any misc differences. Make sure shes not leaking anywhere. And you should be set to go. while ur down there take off the inspection plate at the bell housing and check your converter or flywheel for any damage and or metal shaving. Check the bolts to ive been seeing that the like to work there way loose and fall out. Also look at the rear main seal for any leaks. You would see oil some where in the housing
Thanks... I have wanted to do this.