Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cargo Space vs the Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L L6 OHV 12V
Default Cargo Space vs the Wrangler

Had an inkling that I would like to purchase a Wrangler. But my concerns about cargo space are forcing me to think otherwise.

True that the Cherokee is hands down better for managing cargo? I just hauled a complete Dana axle assembly in the back of my XJ without any concerns for space at all.

Dont think that I could do such a thing in a two door Wrangler! I have a two door XJ. I wouldn’t want to own a four door Wrangler (or XJ for that matter).

Also, seems like managing cargo on a luggage rack on an XJ is easier vs a Wrangler, yes?

Last edited by Rlmx; 08-15-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Depends on the Wrangler. If you're talking a TJ or 2-door JK/JL, then absolutely the XJ has more space.

An "unlimited" wrangler, like the rare LJ or a newer JK or brand new JL with 4-doors will have more space and be comparable to the XJ for interior space. I think the XJ is still slightly bigger, but I haven't checked the specs. I lose a fair amount of trunk space with my full size spare tire (off my old wrangler actually).

If you have a Wrangler, you need a hard top to put roof racks on it, or you have to buy an expensive overhead rack system.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

The XJ costs less than a Wrangler, has plenty of cargo space, and is just as capable off-road. I would imagine its cheaper to insure as well. If you REALLY want a Wrangler with extra cargo space, buy a JK.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I had planned to buy a Wrangler for a few years. When it came time and I was ready, I discovered that I could get an XJ in the same year range, same overall condition, with the same miles, for literally half the price. The cargo space was a huge bonus and I am thankful every single time I get in my 2 door XJ that I did not let myself buy a Wrangler. I wanted a hard top on a Wrangler because I am not a top off/convertable guy so I pretty much would have been paying twice the price(top off tax) and getting half the cargo space. And for an all round daily driver, at least some cargo space is a must for me.

SOOOOOOO glad I bought an XJ
Old 08-16-2018, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
I had planned to buy a Wrangler for a few years. When it came time and I was ready, I discovered that I could get an XJ in the same year range, same overall condition, with the same miles, for literally half the price. The cargo space was a huge bonus and I am thankful every single time I get in my 2 door XJ that I did not let myself buy a Wrangler. I wanted a hard top on a Wrangler because I am not a top off/convertable guy so I pretty much would have been paying twice the price(top off tax) and getting half the cargo space. And for an all round daily driver, at least some cargo space is a must for me.

SOOOOOOO glad I bought an XJ
I went to buy a brand new XJ in 2000 and the dealership couldn't get me one with the I6 and a manual transmission. I needed a vehicle and they had a nice Sahara TJ wrangler with the I6 and manual transmission which I ended up buying.
The one complaint that I had about the Wrangler was that it was much more of a PITA to carry my hockey equipment (Goalie) than my Dad's 94 XJ.

The next new vehicle that i buy (if I can ever afford one) will be a 4-door Wrangler, only because they no longer make a vehicle comparable to the XJ.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.3

Cargo space in a Wrangler is very limited. When I go for a week long camping trip in my 2 door XJ, I have to become a master at Tetris to get everything to fit. I pack the back to the roof, I fill the front seat with stuff, and I still leave non-essential stuff behind. Even with the rear seat completely removed.

The XJ has a whole lot more space for stuff and I can fit everything I want to take without it being 100% packed full.

The 4 door JKU and the long wheelbase LJ are both much bigger inside than the 2 door and, if they're on the table for you, would merit serious discussion.

But if you're just choosing between the XJ and the 2 door Wrangler, the XJ wins the interior space argument every day of the week.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

I bought a YJ a while ago and started fixing it up. Then sold it before i even finished it. Ive always had XJs. And once i put the interior in the Wrangler...

The backseat is a useless joke.

The "cargo space" behind the rear seat? Even more of a useless joke.

I had always wanted a Wrangler. Then i got one. Traded it for an XJ and never looked back.

Never again.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

I know you don’t want a 4 door and it may be pointless for me to say that I have been looking into cargo volume on vehicles and the WJ is the winner hands down. I recently rented a 2018 Lincoln MKX and went on a camping trip with the family. It was awesome except for the cargo area. Then I started noticing how a lot of the newer suv’s have the slanted liftgate. So I have shifted from wanting a newer suv to wanting a WJ.

To to answer the question definitely XJ. Only reason I haven’t had a wrangler yet. When the day comes that my kids are grown and I can afford to have a vehicle that’s only good for driving around with the top off and off roading then I will finally get a wrangler. Although there is always the CJ8! If they weren’t so high priced for a good one I would definitely buy one of them.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I currently have both a 99XJ and a 97TJ. I have had the TJ for 5 years. But now that that my son is older and we have started camping, I had to buy an XJ. There is 0 room for any camping equipment in a 2 door wrangler. It worked for my wife and I (Hammock camping). I also much prefer the XJ as a DD. Sure its nice to put the top down every once in a while, but the fuel economy and ride just isn't worth it.