Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Car hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Car hard to start

So a while ago I had noticed the top to my gas tank had became loose. I was filling up one day and gas started leaking from the top. I dropped the tank and in the process saw that the fuel line going from top of the fuel module was cracked as well. I couldnt for the life of me find a quick disconnect connector that fit. so I had to jerry rig it with fuel line hose clamps. This works and has no problems, but ever since then my jeep is hard to start. I changed the TPS, spark plugs, distributor, and plug wires. I cleaned my IAC valve, I also looked at my MAP sensor and there seemed to be nothing wrong with them. Some one please help! Used to start in one turn now it is horrible, I know its not a big deal but bugs be like fu**ing crazy!
Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Know what drives other members even crazier?

when we're not given basic info on the vehicle like year, engine size etc...................
Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Know what drives other members even crazier?

when we're not given basic info on the vehicle like year, engine size etc...................
Sorry guy first post on here. Dont trip out. Its a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0, 6 cylinder engine.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:59 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I'm not tripping out.
Just trying to get you some help.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

What is the fuel pressure at the rail? You can "rent" a free gauge at O'Reilly's. If you didn't have the problem prior to your fix, and you now have the problem post fix, then the fix may be the problem. If you don't have a way for air to enter the tank, then you create a vacuum. To test that issue, then determine whether the vehicle has the same problem with the fuel cap removed. Perhaps the cap isn't venting and the cracks prevented this issue from appearing.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

yeepin - as a new member, I'm sure you're not familiar with Cruiser, but the guy is a former head Jeep mechanic and one of the most trusted guys on this (and other) forums.

That said - if you've got startup issues directly following (or corresponding to) a crack in the fuel fittings - logically that's the first suspect.

You could try both:
A) Testing your fuel pressure at the rail using a gauge available for rent at most major auto parts retailers or for purchase at Harbor Freight for ~$20. A 97+ should show 49psi +- 5.
B) Turning the key to on, then off a few times before turning the key all the way to start and see if it makes any difference.

Likely the system isn't building and holding sufficient pressure at startup. Turning the key to "ON" triggers a priming of the fuel pump so it's got good fuel pressure to start the engine. Usually if folks have problems with their pressure regulator (in your case it's part of the fuel pump assembly IN the gas tank) priming a few times will help get the engine started.

If either/both of your tests show an issue, you should see if you can replace the line. It may be something that you'll have to go to the junkyard for. If it's the pump side that's damaged, you can always consider replacing the pump.

Download a parts catalog for your year and you can find the part number for the line that's damaged.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I'm not tripping out.
Just trying to get you some help.
Sorry cruiser I didnt mean any disrespect I had just woken up and I saw this through my email and read it differently then interpreted. Again I apologize.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
yeepin - as a new member, I'm sure you're not familiar with Cruiser, but the guy is a former head Jeep mechanic and one of the most trusted guys on this (and other) forums.

That said - if you've got startup issues directly following (or corresponding to) a crack in the fuel fittings - logically that's the first suspect.

You could try both:
A) Testing your fuel pressure at the rail using a gauge available for rent at most major auto parts retailers or for purchase at Harbor Freight for ~$20. A 97+ should show 49psi +- 5.
B) Turning the key to on, then off a few times before turning the key all the way to start and see if it makes any difference.

Likely the system isn't building and holding sufficient pressure at startup. Turning the key to "ON" triggers a priming of the fuel pump so it's got good fuel pressure to start the engine. Usually if folks have problems with their pressure regulator (in your case it's part of the fuel pump assembly IN the gas tank) priming a few times will help get the engine started.

If either/both of your tests show an issue, you should see if you can replace the line. It may be something that you'll have to go to the junkyard for. If it's the pump side that's damaged, you can always consider replacing the pump.

Download a parts catalog for your year and you can find the part number for the line that's damaged.
I have tried priming the fuel pump before start, and it has no difference in the start up. The starting of the Jeep is on/off though, some days it will take a while to start, and some days it wont. Usually if its hot it will start sooner or right away. But that isnt always. I can also hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key. Could the fuel pump still be the culprit even though I hear it prime? Could it possibly not be a fuel problem and maybe a coil pack or something?