Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can't lock rear hatch + where to get new door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Can't lock rear hatch + where to get new door locks?

I can't seem to get the rear hatch on the '87 Cherokee I just bought to lock. The key goes it and it will turn part way, but won't turn far enough to actually lock. I'm afraid to force it and break the key off in there. I should be pushing in on the button while turning the key, right? It doesn't seem to turn at all unless I'm pushing in. I figure it's just old and needs replacing, but I'm going out of town for the holiday and would like to be able to lock the Jeep up. Any advice how I can get this thing to lock? Can I lock it from inside or anything like that?

My door locks are also pretty hard to turn, so I would really just like to replace all of them, and probably the ignition as well since it seems very loose. Is there anywhere I can buy a set of lock cylinders that all match? Napa sells a door lock cylinder kit but they don't carry the hatch lock. I can deal with the ignition being a separate key if I have to, but I don't want to have a different key for for the hatch too.

BTW It's an '87 Pioneer with manual locks if it makes a difference.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

You may want to try a JY for a complete set. I have found since they had "cash 4 clunkers" that there are lots of Cherokees in them for parts and cheap too...Tj
Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Try some spray graphite (auto store), spray that into the door locks and ignition and work the locks some. That should make things move better. You can also get the locks cleaned and fixed at a locksmith, be cheaper than buying a new set of locks (they can also rekey everything to work off one key).
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Oh yeah, graphite, I have some of that stuff around somewhere. I'll have to find it and give that a shot.

Having a locksmith rekey everything to match is a pretty good idea, but does anyone know where to get a new hatch lock? I'll be hitting up the junkyard soon for some other stuff, but I'm thinking it would be hard to tell if the locks on an junked XJ are in any better shape than my current ones without having a key to try in them.