Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can't get NSS back on 98' cherokee sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Can't get NSS back on 98' cherokee sport

Recently took off the NSS on my 98 automatic cherokee sport (intermittent start, no reverse lights). I didn't have much trouble taking it off, about a 20 minute job, was hardest cutting the zip ties. However, I received my new one in the mail today and it's nearly impossible to get it on. I'm confused because I expected it to be easier. Is there any tricks to putting it back on? I know it needs to go straight on, but other than that? I feel like the bottom part could go on easily but the top then doesn't line up to screw the nut in. Any info would help, I scanned the net looking for answers and haven't found a thing yet!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l l6

sand the shaft that it slides on to, use a lubricant on the shaft. mine was hard putting on as well, I lightly tapped it with my socket wrench and it finally slid on. now I'm going through hell with a check engine light due to replacing it so I kinda wish I never even bothered with it lol
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanks!! I'll have to try that. Oh no hopefully you get that figured out mine has been on for a few months now but haven't had any issues other than the nss or what I believe to be the nss
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Are you in neutral or.park? Your shifter.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

My NSs was impossible to get off. actually I end up breaking it in the process. I started the nut on it and wiggled shaft around and it slid right on during reassemble. take your time lol ! parts house wanted 250$ For my nss. So I did like a normal person would do bought off eBay for 50.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I've never been there, but this is in the link below.

Place the NSS back onto the shaft with the bolt and nut loosely. Pull the cable back up with the string you left in place and reconnect. You can line it up as shown above to align the NSS or just simply turn the ignition until the warning lights come on, and then select reverse....

Idk myself!
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

I might compare it to the one I slid off, see if something looks different.

OH! Getten it there it's in place and he is doing the final adjustment by turning it till the reverse lights come on.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-20-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
Are you in neutral or.park? Your shifter.
It was in park
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jt_aleshire
My NSs was impossible to get off. actually I end up breaking it in the process. I started the nut on it and wiggled shaft around and it slid right on during reassemble. take your time lol ! parts house wanted 250$ For my nss. So I did like a normal person would do bought off eBay for 50.
I must be doing something wrong lol. I was under there for about a half hour before I gave up. Mine slide off fairly easy that's why I'm confused on why it doesn't want to slide on.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I've never been there, but this is in the link below.

Place the NSS back onto the shaft with the bolt and nut loosely. Pull the cable back up with the string you left in place and reconnect. You can line it up as shown above to align the NSS or just simply turn the ignition until the warning lights come on, and then select reverse....

Idk myself!
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

I might compare it to the one I slid off, see if something looks different.

OH! Getten it there it's in place and he is doing the final adjustment by turning it till the reverse lights come on.
Thank you!