Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.

Ive tried just about everything to get this pressed bolt out. Torching, drilling, BFH, PB blaster, and now 3 jaw puller. Ive heard people on this forum say they've had luck with the 3 jaw puller, and I'm kinda running low on ideas.
So i rented one from autozone but the gripping part of the jaw (i guess you could call it) is to fat to get behind the bolt head and between the housing. Autozone doesn't have a puller with a flatter lip. What can i do? I took pics but for whatever reason the iPhone app wont let me post them.
Attached Thumbnails Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.-image-3512769258.jpg   Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.-image-4209143472.jpg   Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.-image-146839296.jpg   Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.-image-458383334.jpg  
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 PM

Apparently pictures did post.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Just cut the bolt and punch it out with an air chisel. Might make it easier if you take a wire brush to it and get some of that scale off of there. Why are you removing it anyways?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

People here recommend a pitman puller, two jaw U type puller, but yeah those can became nightmare.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Not my pic.
Name:  DSCN3449.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  149.7 KB

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 03-22-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Just cut the bolt and punch it out with an air chisel. Might make it easier if you take a wire brush to it and get some of that scale off of there. Why are you removing it anyways?
Its actually just mud, should have mentioned that. And I installed an RE 3.5" lift kit and it came with new sway bars and they came with new, longer bolts. Also, when you say cut the bolt, do you mean cut off the head? I dont have an air chisel either, are they expensive?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ol' Green
Its actually just mud, should have mentioned that. And I installed an RE 3.5" lift kit and it came with new sway bars and they came with new, longer bolts. Also, when you say cut the bolt, do you mean cut off the head? I dont have an air chisel either, are they expensive?
Either way. Cut it close to the metal ear that it's in. Then punch it out. Do you have a compressor? You can get an air chisel with attachments at HF for cheap. If not, cut it, torch it, and BFH it.

EDIT: ...or just run without a sway bar. I haven't had one on my XJ in forever, and don't miss it a bit.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 03-22-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Either way. Cut it close to the metal ear that it's in. Then punch it out. Do you have a compressor? You can get an air chisel with attachments at HF for cheap. If not, cut it, torch it, and BFH it.
The problem with the BFH is:
1. The tab wants to vibrate so it soaks up the force of the blow.
2. If you smack it hard enough you can screw up that mounting tab.
If the OP uses that setup with the puller I posted in the pic, wear safety glasses and be ready if something gives way suddenly.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I haven't dealt with that one, just a few hundred others. I might torch that bracket, even a while with a little propane torch. Then figure a way to back up that bracket with something heavy/solid, so when you smack the bolt it's a "crisp" shot. Looks like if you hit it now it will just spring around. Maybe a helper with a big bar or pipe or something to back it up while you smack the bolt.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 PM

Either way. Cut it close to the metal ear that it's in. Then punch it out. Do you have a compressor? You can get an air chisel with attachments at HF for cheap. If not, cut it, torch it, and BFH it. EDIT: ...or just run without a sway bar. I haven't had one on my XJ in forever, and don't miss it a bit.
Ive been without swaybars for a month or so now, and I figured since i paid for the darn things i might as well use em. But unfortunately no, I don't have a compressor but a friend does. Do you think an angle grinder with a cutting disk will do the trick?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ol' Green
Ive been without swaybars for a month or so now, and I figured since i paid for the darn things i might as well use em. But unfortunately no, I don't have a compressor but a friend does. Do you think an angle grinder with a cutting disk will do the trick?
Sure. Like turbo said, it will want to vibrate, I suggest only cutting the bolt if you use the air chisel. That way the tool will do the work. Also, try to punch it out immediately after cutting, the heat from cutting it will help out when you punch it.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 PM

Sure. Like turbe said, it will want to vibrate, I suggest only cutting the bolt if you use the air chisel. That way the tool will do the work. Also, try to punch it out immediately after cutting, the heat from cutting it will help out when you punch it.
Alright I'll give that a try. Thanks for your help, hopefully next attempt I can make some progress.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

I ground mine all the way down then drilled it out with a really torque-e drill. Start with a small pilot hole then move up. I drilled mine for homemade quick discos. It helps if you have oxyacetylene on hand!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 PM

Engine: 4.0

Get a deep enough socket that will go over the head of the bolt, then use a large c clamp to press the bolt through, similar to what you are doing with the gear puller.

Like this only instead of a socket on the right you will push the bolt through into the large socket on the left

Last edited by Little Red XJ; 03-22-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Little Red XJ
Get a deep enough socket that will go over the head of the bolt, then use a large c clamp to press the bolt through, similar to what you are doing with the gear puller.

Like this only instead of a socket on the right you will push the bolt through into the large socket on the left

I used this trick for shock bushings. I've borrowed an angle grinder w/ a cutting disk from work and I'll try to get at it with that.

Quick Reply: Cant get 3 jaw puller on sway bar bolt, out of ideas.