Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can you help me find/order these parts? (Anyone enjoy shopping/searching?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Can you help me find/order these parts? (Anyone enjoy shopping/searching?)

I need some parts, but am really stuck in terms of knowing what brands to buy.
The BMW DIY world is 10x simpler. OEM. Period.

I am just fixing up a stock 1998 4.0L XJ for winter driving (and the enjoyment/education of simpler DIY)
No mods or off-roading in my future.

For each item, if anyone can point out which one to buy on RockAuto, this would be a HUGE help.
There are just too many choices for each, and I don't even know where to begin. I have the 97-99 XJ parts catalog.

Here is what I really want to buy:
  1. Rotors/pads
  2. Front Axle U-joint
  3. Front Hub Wheel Bearings
  4. Tie Rod End Ball Joint
  5. Radiator, hoses, cap, water pump, thermostat.
  6. Valve Cover Gasket
  7. Serpentine Belt.
  8. Alternator
  9. Distributor, plugs, wires, coil. (What is the sensor plugged into the distributor?)
Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Places like;

http://www.rockauto.com/
http://www.andysautosport.com/jeep/1997_2001_cherokee/
http://www.quadratec.com
http://www.autopartsway.com/

as well as eBay.
For your alternator I would take it to a rebuilder, Yellow Pages or do a search on auto electric rebuilders and see if there is on in your area.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM

everyone here is gonna shoot me for saything this, but over 75% of the stuff id just go to your local auto parts store and have them look up the parts number to what fits the car. most all that stuff isn't anything you need super high end OEM style and the stores brand will work just fine. Especially just for DD. the only things id be wary of is the alternator really, just get it redone (most places have one or two shops that will still rebuild an alternator for ya). and correct me if im wrong, but the tie rod you'll need either a whole new one or it comes apart in 2 separate pieces, but you can't replace just the ball joint in the xj's.

Last edited by klump; 10-21-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by klump
everyone here is gonna shoot me for saything this, but over 75% of the stuff id just go to your local auto parts store and have them look up the parts number to what fits the car. most all that stuff isn't anything you need super high end OEM style and the stores brand will work just fine. Especially just for DD. the only things id be wary of is the alternator really, just get it redone (most places have one or two shops that will still rebuild an alternator for ya). and correct me if im wrong, but the tie rod you'll need either a whole new one or it comes apart in 2 separate pieces, but you can't replace just the ball joint in the xj's.
Ill go out with you to the execution squad, I agree with you on going to local parts store. You can take back something if it's wrong instead of sending it back and waiting.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

Sails, I know those popular sites for parts, it's just not knowing which BRAND to buy once given all those choices. Do the Jeep communities know who the OE brand is for various parts? For example, in BMW, everyone knows Sachs is the OE for struts. And they know that Seimens of the OE for the MAF sensor. That way, people buy the OE brand, and not the marked up re-branded "BMW" part. And, they don't buy some shoddy aftermarket item that is often crap.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Most of the time Jeep didn't know who was supplying parts, 99% of the "shoddy aftermarket item that is often crap" works just fine. I'm sure AMC/Chrysler always went with the lowest bidder just as long as it lasted till the warranty was up, after all it's a Jeep, not a Bugatti.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 10-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Most of the time Jeep didn't know who was supplying parts, 99% of the "shoddy aftermarket item that is often crap" works just fine. I'm sure AMC/Chrysler always went with the lowest bidder just as long as it lasted till the warranty was up, after all it's a Jeep, not a Bugatti.
Lol so true. I believe original parts are labeled "great value"
Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 PM

i think part of the problem is that you keep useing bmw mentality to buy parts. once you are able to overcome that, just buy the parts in the price range you can afford or that provides the best warranty. im sure that when you see a listing for 15 differant vendor names in actuality those 15 vendors are selling parts they put their name on that were really actually made by one or two manufacturers
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Rotors/pads
Front Axle U-joint
Front Hub Wheel Bearings
Tie Rod End Ball Joint
Radiator, hoses, cap, water pump, thermostat.
Valve Cover Gasket
Serpentine Belt.
Alternator
Distributor, plugs, wires, coil. (What is the sensor plugged into the distributor?)
I like Raybestos brake parts. I'm sure there are other good brands out there too.

U-joints: Spicer, Precision, AC Delco. Some folks have mentioned dislike for the AC Delco's. I've had no problems, but thought I'd mention it. The first two are always good.

Hub bearings: you have to replace the entire hub, it isn't serviceable. Timken or SKF bearings inside = good.

Suspension parts: I used to buy Moog, but their quality has taken a nosedive. not sure what the current best brand is. Might search to see what others are using.

Cooling system parts: Mopar thermostat. Mopar or NAPA cap. For radiators I like radiatorbarn.com, not sure what your local parts house carries. Probably "spectra", which I know nothing about.

VC Gasket: Felpro

Serp. Belt: Gates or Goodyear are my preferences.

Alternator: Agreed with the advice to have it rebuilt locally if you can. If you have to get an over-the-counter rebuild, don't get the bargain basement stuff from Autozone/Advance Auto/O'Reilley's/etc. unless you install it with quick-release fasteners. I've had good luck with NAPA rebuilds.

Ignition parts: I like OEM cap, rotor and wires but most any direct-fit wire set should be OK. Plugs: NGK or Champion.

The sensor in the distributor is the cam position sensor.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Dang Chuck, you got a post count there don't you. Guys, don't let that puny count fool you, Radi knows way more than Jeeps. "it's a small rivet for man"
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kennzz05
i think part of the problem is that you keep useing bmw mentality to buy parts.
Bingo! No offense, but go back and look at your posts. Most every one starts with something like, "In the BMW world..." A Jeep is not a BMW!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Radi
I like Raybestos brake parts. I'm sure there are other good brands out there too.

U-joints: Spicer, Precision, AC Delco. Some folks have mentioned dislike for the AC Delco's. I've had no problems, but thought I'd mention it. The first two are always good.

Hub bearings: you have to replace the entire hub, it isn't serviceable. Timken or SKF bearings inside = good.

Suspension parts: I used to buy Moog, but their quality has taken a nosedive. not sure what the current best brand is. Might search to see what others are using.

Cooling system parts: Mopar thermostat. Mopar or NAPA cap. For radiators I like radiatorbarn.com, not sure what your local parts house carries. Probably "spectra", which I know nothing about.

VC Gasket: Felpro

Serp. Belt: Gates or Goodyear are my preferences.

Alternator: Agreed with the advice to have it rebuilt locally if you can. If you have to get an over-the-counter rebuild, don't get the bargain basement stuff from Autozone/Advance Auto/O'Reilley's/etc. unless you install it with quick-release fasteners. I've had good luck with NAPA rebuilds.

Ignition parts: I like OEM cap, rotor and wires but most any direct-fit wire set should be OK. Plugs: NGK or Champion.

The sensor in the distributor is the cam position sensor.
This is very sound advice.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: I6

For the money spicer is the best u joints and timken hub assemblies are best... I usually go with what has the best warranty... Just my own input
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Banned

I buy cheapest parts. Chances of redoing a job because of low parts quality are pretty slim. Probably less than 1%.
Research internet, but don't forget local parts store.
Ebay wheel bearings are twice cheaper.

Last edited by Rockville; 10-22-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Year: 1997

Regarding "tie rod end ball joint"....

That could mean a lot of things in the "jeep world". Everyone seems to have different terminology and it gets pretty confusing...I don't know why. Anyway, that could mean:

The upper/lower ball joints on the drivers side
The tie rod end on the drivers side .... steering knuckle
The drag link end .... other steering knuckle
The tie rod end at the drag link
And even the joint at the pitman arm
Etc, etc.

I know...it's like everyone has their own language for steering parts.

Quick Reply: Can you help me find/order these parts? (Anyone enjoy shopping/searching?)