Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?

We are all familiar with the classic vinyl cracks on the outside edge of the driver's seat along with the foam starting to sag at some point.

Can the seats or seat bottom cushions be swapped left to right, kinda of seat cushion "rotation" if you will, to even the wear? Perhaps put the ugly driver's vinyl cracks against the center console by swapping side to side?

Better yet, find a JY passenger seat that is undamaged and simply put that cushion on the driver's seat bottom.

Anybody tried this route?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

you can do both of those. ive personally witnessed both. problem with swapping seats is it puts the back adjustment handle in the console.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have done it. Thing is you will still have to use the metal base and seat adjuster from the driver's side. So I did not have a shot of how it clips in the front. But it is the same set up as the first shot I posted. That first shot is one side. Can't remember if it is left or right. It wraps around that bar in the second shot. The third shot is the other side. Those two tabs go into the two holes in the forth shot. The metal you are looking at is the base. Not the seat adjuster part. The base under the seat bolts to the seat adjuster part. Anyway so the plastic is attached to the seat cushion. Now it would be reversed. So it can't attach like it was. I used zip ties. The front can still be attached like is was. I was toying with the idea of resewing those plastic pieces to the appropriate side but did not. The fifth shot is my finished product. You need to cut a hole or two and make a slit. See the little black piece poking out at the top. Now I was able to get away with this because I was using seat covers. See the last shot. I know I did a poor job trying to explain it. If you were to actually do it then it would make more sense. And it was not as bad as it sounds.
Attached Thumbnails Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?-img_0523.jpg   Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?-img_0525.jpg   Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?-img_0526.jpg   Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?-img_0527.jpg   Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?-img_0626.jpg  

Can XJ front seat cushions be swapped Driver to Pass?-img_0627.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph77; 08-28-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

For around $100 you should be able to find someone to refoam the cushion. If they can't get material, just go to a junkyard and cut the seat backs out for material.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:20 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Just swap a passenger side cushion to your driver's side. It will rarely be damaged. done this numerous times. super easy.