Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C help?? on a 2001 cherokee sport..

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 , 1997 ,1997, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 @5.2
Default A/C help?? on a 2001 cherokee sport..

Hi everybody, looking for some help/info on a/c system on my 2001 cherokee sport.. I had discharged the a/c system when I rebuilt the engine it didn`t have anything in it so when I put the engine back in after rebuild (bought it with a blown motor) I was looking to recharge it.. The first thing I did was to change every o ring and washer on top of the compressor, lock rings and everything I could with the exception of removing the dash and changing the evaporator.. I then put a vacum on it after putting it back together and it showed no leaks or drops for thirty minutes.. I then started to fill the system through the manifold on the low pressure side and watched as the tube from the dryer to the condensor began to sweat and the low pressure was reading about 35 lbs., high side was about 200 with the ac on recirculate and the max setting .. Here is my problem I can only get it to about 58 deg. the outside temp is about 85 so I know it should be about 40 I have a 2000 and a 99 that I did the same service to and they are both reading about 40 deg.. ?? Not sure why I can not get it any cooler ?/ The one thing I did notice is that the two hoses on top of the compressor are both cold to the touch I thought one side would be cold and the other warm to the touch?? I am just a backyard hobbist I invested in the vacum and manifold a few years ago and have been trying to learn the a/c systems . Not sure if I screwed something up ? The vacum showed no leaks and I have the same readings almost two weeks later?? Anybody have any ideas?? I was not able to clean or change that filter that is in the line they make it so you must buy the whole line ?/ So I am thinking maybe that was dirty?? Thanks in advance for any help/ ideas/ Seven
Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by seven
Hi everybody, looking for some help/info on a/c system on my 2001 cherokee sport.. I had discharged the a/c system when I rebuilt the engine it didn`t have anything in it so when I put the engine back in after rebuild (bought it with a blown motor) I was looking to recharge it.. The first thing I did was to change every o ring and washer on top of the compressor, lock rings and everything I could with the exception of removing the dash and changing the evaporator.. I then put a vacum on it after putting it back together and it showed no leaks or drops for thirty minutes.. I then started to fill the system through the manifold on the low pressure side and watched as the tube from the dryer to the condensor began to sweat and the low pressure was reading about 35 lbs., high side was about 200 with the ac on recirculate and the max setting .. Here is my problem I can only get it to about 58 deg. the outside temp is about 85 so I know it should be about 40 I have a 2000 and a 99 that I did the same service to and they are both reading about 40 deg.. ?? [85 ?] Not sure why I can not get it any cooler ?/ The one thing I did notice is that the two hoses on top of the compressor are both cold to the touch I thought one side would be cold and the other warm to the touch?? I am just a backyard hobbist I invested in the vacum and manifold a few years ago and have been trying to learn the a/c systems . Not sure if I screwed something up ? The vacum showed no leaks and I have the same readings almost two weeks later?? Anybody have any ideas?? I was not able to clean or change that filter that is in the line they make it so you must buy the whole line ?/ So I am thinking maybe that was dirty?? Thanks in advance for any help/ ideas/ Seven
A clean sweep of the AC components would include changing the AC liquid line (fixed orifice) and the accumulator. Both of which traps crap in the system. Of course, system lube must be accounted for if the accumulator is changed; it should be filled with 4 oz. of PAG 100 before install.

However, Excessive refrigerant oil in the system could cause normal pressures but air temp at the center panel to be too high. If you serviced the system with refrigerant that contains oil and you didn't change any components that would lower the system oil content, that may have raised the system oil content enough to see what you are experiencing (?).

Sytem oil content 8.1 ounces.

I would try to blame the blend air door but you are seeing the same problem on two different Jeeps.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Default a/c repair

Thanks Ken, I regret not changing that orifice line.. I refilled with r-134 no oil in it .. I think I should evacuate the system, change the line /orifice and the accumulater fill with 4 0z of oil ?? refill with r-134 and see what happens?? .. Just to clarify the accumulater and the dryer are one in the same?? Thanks Bill
Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Default 2001 cherokee sport a/c

I just rechecked the system again .. the tubes or lines on top of the compressor seem to be fine ,. The one with the switch connector is cold and the other the one with the high pressure port is hot.. The line from the evaporator to the condensor is sweating heavily and water is dripping from the spout just above the frame rail but still only 60 inside truck?? I forgot to mention that the condensor was cleaned when I had it off made sure you could see through it no road debri or bugs on it.. I know earlier I had stated both lines on top of the compressor were cold but that was not correct.. The lines on top of the dryer/accumulater are both cold and dripping heavy with water .. It is 95 deg here today in Long Island n.y. Thanks Bill
Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

I just rechecked the system again .. the tubes or lines on top of the compressor seem to be fine ,. The one with the switch connector is cold and the other the one with the high pressure port is hot.. The line from the evaporator to the condensor is sweating heavily and water is dripping from the spout just above the frame rail but still only 60 inside truck?? I forgot to mention that the condensor was cleaned when I had it off made sure you could see through it no road debri or bugs on it.. I know earlier I had stated both lines on top of the compressor were cold but that was not correct.. The lines on top of the dryer/accumulater are both cold and dripping heavy with water .. It is 95 deg here today in Long Island n.y. Thanks Bill
The parts catalog for our Cherokees calls it an Accumulator, some folks still call it a dryer.

I bought an Omega Accumulator from this guy on Ebay. $26 and free shipping. The pic shows it as being silver but the one I got was painted black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-37-23500-A-C-Receiver-Drier-Accumulator-A-C-Receiver-Drier-/350727785373?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item51a9014b9d&vxp=mtr#ht_1192wt_930
It's the only one I could find that actually fits in its mount without hitting the shock tower. Same length as the OEM Accumulator. I tried Accumulators from all the parts stores around here and they were all too long and rode on the shock tower when clamped in place.

The AC Liquied Line I got was from O'reilly. A Murray product.

When I serviced my Accumulator with oil I used PAG100 with leak detection dye in it (for future use LOL).
Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM

I found an exact replacement for the dryer/accumlater and the orifice line from the parts geek? The line is $27.00 and the dryer is $24.00.. Guess I am going to go for it?? My sons cherokee i did the same service is blowing out at 34 deg.. big difference...
Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Just ordered the exact replacement parts from rock auto , parts are by 4 season a/c parts .. ordered the dryer/ , orifice hose and a new gasket set delivered to the house for $ 54.00 .., should have done that in the begining, Oh well live and learn hopefully that will take care of it ... Bill
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Just ordered the exact replacement parts from rock auto , parts are by 4 season a/c parts .. ordered the dryer/ , orifice hose and a new gasket set delivered to the house for $ 54.00 .., should have done that in the begining, Oh well live and learn hopefully that will take care of it ... Bill
Before you scratch up the new Accumulator by installing it, compare it to the OEM part and see if the body is longer than the original. Line up the tubes that goes into the Evaporator with old and new then check the bottom to see if its longer. If so, it won't fit (at least the ones I checked didn't).

Edit: They all say exact fit.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 PM

10-4 Ken I do not think I will get it till the weekend so i will probally wait till mon. or tues.to take it apart at least I am getting a steady 60 deg. right now might as well leave it intact.. Do you think I should take the compressor out and drain it of oil while I have the system open?? I was planning on putting the 4 oz in the dryer as you stated earlier?? just don`t want to put to much in?? And I do not know what was in it already..
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

10-4 Ken I do not think I will get it till the weekend so i will probally wait till mon. or tues.to take it apart at least I am getting a steady 60 deg. right now might as well leave it intact.. Do you think I should take the compressor out and drain it of oil while I have the system open?? I was planning on putting the 4 oz in the dryer as you stated earlier?? just don`t want to put to much in?? And I do not know what was in it already..
If the compressor and its clutch work, leave it be.

If you had an all new engine bay bone dry system, and the evaporator was empty/flushed, you would add 4.0 oz. oil to the accumulator and 4.1 oz to the compressor, that's it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks again , gonna leave it be as you say it works.. but I will add the four oz of the pac 100 to the dryer?? I will keep you posted hopefully it will do the trick I am trying to kick myself in the *** for not doing it originally but since two knee surgery`s can`t get my foot to cooperate, lol Seven...
Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Default 2001 cherokee sport a/c att: Ken

Hi Ken I just reread the post , the other two jeeps are working perfect a/c is ice cold.. The 2001 is the one I just rebuilt the engine on and tried to charge the system correctly?? That is the only one I can not get to go below 60 deg.. the liquid line under the hood coming from the firewall evaporator to the condensor is cold and sweating or dripping with condensation.. ,the spout on the lower part of the a/c heat box is also dripping water ?/ It appears to be normal under the hood ?? or looks like the other jeeps when in use.. Would the dryer/accumulater or liquid line prevent the temp from going below 60 inside vehicle cabin?? Just trying to make sure I explained it correctly so I am chasing the right problem?? Sorry to bother or rehash everything but I am a hobbist and I know you know just everything their is to know on these jeeps but I am willing to take direction and learn lol!! thanks again Bill
Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Hi Ken I just reread the post , the other two jeeps are working perfect a/c is ice cold.. The 2001 is the one I just rebuilt the engine on and tried to charge the system correctly?? That is the only one I can not get to go below 60 deg.. the liquid line under the hood coming from the firewall evaporator to the condensor is cold and sweating or dripping with condensation.. ,the spout on the lower part of the a/c heat box is also dripping water ?/ It appears to be normal under the hood ?? or looks like the other jeeps when in use.. Would the dryer/accumulater or liquid line prevent the temp from going below 60 inside vehicle cabin?? Just trying to make sure I explained it correctly so I am chasing the right problem?? Sorry to bother or rehash everything but I am a hobbist and I know you know just everything their is to know on these jeeps but I am willing to take direction and learn lol!! thanks again Bill
If it's only the one jeep I'd look into the blend air door actuator before blaming the other AC components.

The blend air door on your '01 is operated by an electrical actuator that has a habit of not working, or the door pivot points sticking.

Here's a diagram of the blend air door circuit. You can check the operation of the actuator by climbing halfway under the passenger side dash and looking up past the floor outlet, to the bottom of the HVAC Unit. Using a flashlight to watch the actuator move (slowly), turn the ignition key to RUN and rotate the temp control **** on the AC/Heat control panel from full Blue to full Red, and back again. You should see the actuator drive shaft move.

Note any faults and get back.

Name:  jpgBlendDoorDiagram21_24_13.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Default 2001 cherokee sport a/c att: Ken

Ok just checked it out seems to be operating fine?? I am guessing it is turning enough as it is only going about 1/2 way around?? In other words it does not make a full rotation the post that you can see?? Hope I am explaining it correctly I wish it was that lol!! Also if you were to run the car you can feel it when you turn the **** toward the heat side change from the cold (60deg) to start to get warm?? Bill
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Ok just checked it out seems to be operating fine?? I am guessing it is turning enough as it is only going about 1/2 way around?? In other words it does not make a full rotation the post that you can see?? Hope I am explaining it correctly I wish it was that lol!! Also if you were to run the car you can feel it when you turn the **** toward the heat side change from the cold (60deg) to start to get warm?? Bill
Yeah, it only turns about 90 degrees.

What's your next move? Liquid Line?

Quick Reply: A/C help?? on a 2001 cherokee sport..