Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

C-clips keep breaking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default C-clips keep breaking.

A buddy of mine has replaced these C-clips on the output shaft of his T-case 3 times now over the course of 18 months or so since the original broke. He's completely stock and 95% on-road. He could not find an OEM replacement for them but was able to double-up two thinner clips to put it right.

The first thing I though was a bearing issue but, he said there were no shavings or evidence of hard-part damage (not that there couldn't be) and that the bearing "seemed" fine. Any idea why or what kind of force would cause these clips to snap? I have not seen it in person yet. I'm an ex-wrench and have racked my brain and come up with nothing besides bearing. Thoughts???

Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Are they the same diameter as the original? And are you using the right style? There is an internal and external. Internal has little nubs on the interior diameter of the clip. External has little nubs on the outside. Is the groove damaged in any way that may keep the clip from seating? I never ran into broken clips, but thats all i can think of as to why they might be breaking. That or the clips are cheaply made.

Another question is how (in what way) are they breaking? Im curious myself.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:41 PM

He said, "They are the same diameter. Didn't replace with the original clips, wasn't available at local parts shops or even the dealership for that matter....they actually said they can't even order them, go figure. Ended up substituting, doubled up two thinner rings that equaled the same thickness as the original. All rings sat firmly in place, no damage to the groove at all. The rings that have broken literally just snapped in two pieces."
Old 12-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Wondering...Is it always the same one (position wise) that's busting? Since they are being doubling up. Aren't most snap-rings now press cut so one side is flatter than the other? Chance maybe they are slightly warped and stressing or being loaded up too much? I work at a ZF plant and you would not believe how warped the snap rings can be new. I'm just throwing ideas out there....
Old 12-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Yes, same clips/positions. I think the doubling up is not the best idea but, when even the dealer tells you they cant get one... Which to me makes zero sense. I mean how many XJ's did they build with the NP231 t-case? Gotta be a million of'em.

OK, interesting note about the warpage factor. Thanks for that. I'm going to have him hit up some local tranny shops, I'm sure they've got access to the proper clips. Still would be nice to know why they originally failed. Thanks again!