Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bypassing passenger window switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default bypassing passenger window switch

so ive got a 92 Laredo, that when I purchased the vehicle the switch for the passenger side window is missing there for the window will not work, it seems to be a hard to find item so I want to just bypass it and then I'd be able to control from drivers side switch is what I believe how it will work. I'm going to post picture of the diagram I have from Alldata. In the diagram the right front is mislabeled as the right rear switch but it is the top switch in the diagram that I am trying to bypass. I believe I can connect the circuit Q16 Brown/White to Circuit Q12 Brown and then circuit Q26 violet/white to circuit Q22 Violet and then it would allow me to control the window from the drivers main window switches. Does that sound correct?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

It does look good to me.

From what I have learned, the switches on the doors (not the master switch) are bypassed when they are not pressed up or down, meaning that whatever voltage is being sent by the master switch is being sent directly to the window regulator motor.

When the master switch is at rest (not being pushed up or down) then it is sending ground to both leads, and that is going through the door switch and to the motor

When the master switch is being used up or down, one of the wires is sending a positive 12V, and the other is still resting on ground, again everything going through the door switch and to the motor, same in the opposite direction

Now if the master switch is at rest, it is sending ground in both wires, that is going through the door switch, and when this one is pressed up or down, the wire for that contact (up or down) gets positive and that completes the circuit.

Short answer, if there is no door switch or if it is deffective (not allowing the current to go through it) the window motor will not receive the 12V and ground, best option if there is no replacement available is to have it bypassed like you stated before