Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Buying son a cherokee, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Buying son a cherokee, need help

Test drove a 96 xj today ran out good motor and trans ,4 1/2 in coils and 1 1/2 spacer in front, leaf spring and shackle in rear all rough country kit. Some problems with rest of it. 1. engine light is on, owner said he thought it was 02 sensor. 2. Heat and a/c work good but does not blow out of dash vents just out defroster vents, he didnt know it was doing this. I've searched forum I think this may be vacumn related. 3. Front brakes are weak and grab a little. New brakes and rotors are no problem. 4. The tough one is some slop in steering not much just enough to have to fight it to go straight. He has drop pitman arm he thought this might take care of the problem. I'm sure it will take more than this. He has price at 39k but we are coming closer to 3k Has new 32x11.50 hankook tires and MT classic II wheels. Any help or advice to fix the problems would be great. Truck being bought by 16 yr. old son. Will probably pull out front spacer and rear shackle and take lift down to 4 1/2.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

well as for the steering issue, these are light weight trucks so as you go up in tire size the road definately tends to pull the truck one way or the other. Thats fairly common i think. I went up from stock to 31 inch tires and I feel that also. As far as the check engine light. Never believe anyone. If he really wants to sell the truck he should let you take it to the nearest autozone, advanced auto or any auto store and have them check the code. They do it for free. Remember it WILL NOT pass inspection if the check engine light is on. If it ends up being a cencor your looking a hundred bucks or so. i ended up having to spend several hundred on what was really wrong with mine. Not sure about the heat and AC. As far as price, it depends on where you live but I got my 2001 4x4 2700 bucks. Mileage has a lot to do with it also. Im a penny pincher and I probably would try to get a 96 for closer to the 2500 range. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by eagle1
Test drove a 96 xj today ran out good motor and trans ,4 1/2 in coils and 1 1/2 spacer in front, leaf spring and shackle in rear all rough country kit. Some problems with rest of it.
1. engine light is on, owner said he thought it was 02 sensor.
2. Heat and a/c work good but does not blow out of dash vents just out defroster vents, he didnt know it was doing this. I've searched forum I think this may be vacumn related.
3. Front brakes are weak and grab a little. New brakes and rotors are no problem.
4. The tough one is some slop in steering not much just enough to have to fight it to go straight. He has drop pitman arm he thought this might take care of the problem. I'm sure it will take more than this. He has price at 39k but we are coming closer to 3k Has new 32x11.50 hankook tires and MT classic II wheels. Any help or advice to fix the problems would be great. Truck being bought by 16 yr. old son. Will probably pull out front spacer and rear shackle and take lift down to 4 1/2.
Hello there.. a couple things.....
1. make sure you get the engine light shut off and drive it hard to re trigger the signal.. then recheck
2. there is a flap that feeds the center dash vents the might be loose.. other than that.. talk the guy into a "test drive" for the weekend saying that you want to have a mechanic look at it. then do what you can to trouble shoot.
3. your good on the brakes
4. AS A MATTER OF FACT, male owned.. with a lift.. tells me that guy put only what he could afford on it then beat the crap out of it.. now selling his problem with some flashy tires.

I am sorry to say.. if you care about a good investment that will be safe.. look for a female owned grocery getter.. I paid 1700 for mine and could have put on a 2inch lift (stock tires would still look good under it + safer) and a new radio and speakers from (newegg.com) and been more than happy.

Call the manufacturer of the lift and tell them you want to buy their lift for your 1996 truck.. then listen to all they tell you.
from my understanding.. anything over a 4.5 lift requires a CV (constant velocity) drive shaft and a SYE (slip yoke eliminator). IE~ lift kits make weak points and if left unaddressed you will end up selling your one time beloved truck for cheap because it became problematic!!!

Also.. please please please... look up "death wobble"
all cherokees are prone to it after time.. and will become a problem more quickly if there is a lift kit involved.. I fixed mine for $30 and some welding.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/yes-...-15056/index2/
LOOK at that link at the end of the second page

Overall... cherokees are by far the best truck ever on the road!! But like all trucks/cars.. once you beat the **** out of it.. its over.

below is my truck that took years to get right.. really 2 inch lift, a radio and some speakers.. for a 16yr old! a near stock cherokee is so capable anyway he will never know the difference.

good luck
Attached Images   

Last edited by trapper; 01-25-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Do you mean loose steering, like you can move the steering wheel from side to side and it will still go straight? Or The steering pulls the jeep a little from side to side?

the first one can be fixed easily by tightening a nut on the ps box.

the latter will most likely be fixed by a good alignment.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

I would be cautious buying a 6 inch lifted cherokee from someone, unless you have lifted one yourself. Take it to autozone and they will tell you what codes the check engine light is throwing. If you are buying a daily driver for your son I would move on. If you are looking for a trail rig and something to work on together then I say 3g is a pretty good deal.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 AM

IMO- I'd be very concerned about getting my teen-ager something so modified. I suggest getting him something more in stock form, 3"/31's max!

XJ's are easily "built" over a short period, after your son gets some "road-time", ya know?

That's what i would do...