Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bunch of problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default bunch of problems

alrite , this all is getting really annoying lately. the problem that worries me the most is some that i believe is going on with the tranny. it does it quite often, i will be going down the road and suddenly it feels like someone has a rope attached to the back of the xj and it jerks really bad. to get it to stop i have to let off the gas until i here a back fire (not sure if it from the exhaust or throttle body, i believe exhaust cuz it fell off a couple hundred miles a go, still hav the cat) once it back fires i can get back on the gas until it does it again. it has done it at speeds of 30, 45, 60 and 65 MPH.

also tranny related. when im going 45-50 it shifts into OD and when i let off the gas and coast to 40, no matter how much gas i give it, it acts like its stuck in OD and stays at 1250RPM

the next thing is the most recent and it just started doing it today. when it comes to a stop sign, and i get back on the gas, it wants to bog out, and i really have to get on the gas to keep it running. it doesnt happen every time but some of the time it does. it does it when i start at the beginning of each day, but i just figured that it wasnt warmed up yet.

is any one else having any of these problems or know whats wrong?
it had a new gas tank, new fuel pump, new filter put in in december and the tranny got flushed in January with a new filter
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

anyone?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
alrite , this all is getting really annoying lately. the problem that worries me the most is some that i believe is going on with the tranny. it does it quite often, i will be going down the road and suddenly it feels like someone has a rope attached to the back of the xj and it jerks really bad. to get it to stop i have to let off the gas until i here a back fire (not sure if it from the exhaust or throttle body, i believe exhaust cuz it fell off a couple hundred miles a go, still hav the cat) once it back fires i can get back on the gas until it does it again. it has done it at speeds of 30, 45, 60 and 65 MPH.

also tranny related. when im going 45-50 it shifts into OD and when i let off the gas and coast to 40, no matter how much gas i give it, it acts like its stuck in OD and stays at 1250RPM

the next thing is the most recent and it just started doing it today. when it comes to a stop sign, and i get back on the gas, it wants to bog out, and i really have to get on the gas to keep it running. it doesnt happen every time but some of the time it does. it does it when i start at the beginning of each day, but i just figured that it wasnt warmed up yet.

it had a new gas tank, new fuel pump, new filter put in in december and the tranny got flushed in January with a new filter

Sounds exactly like a TPS as the TPS is what decides when the transmission is supposed to shift. At WOT it should shift gears immediately. The TPS is the brain that tells the T'mission to do it.

Unless you have bad solenoids for your transmission. Of course, if you check out the codes that will tell you instantaneously if it's your TPS or not.

I also had similar problems when I hade code 1391. When I replaced the crank sensor it went away immediately.

..but I only knew that because I checked the codes.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

with the 1391 code, was that a CPS sensor or are you also talking about the TPS sensor?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

with the 1391 code, was that a CPS sensor or are you also talking about the TPS sensor?
Go to Google and type in P1391 and Cherokee. It's the CRANK position sensor, not the CPS.

CKS = Crank position (have replaced this little item 3 times myself)
CPS = Cam position (never seen one fail, ever)
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Same issue replaced everything to do with the ignition system except the fuel pump... Literally... And it's still doin it. On my second set of o2 sensors...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I had a problem like that last year it took me all summer to figure out, i rebuilt the ignition system over and over. Turns out it was the cat pull it out and look throw it if you cant see throw it then replace it cost me $110 at Autozone. Mine felt like it had rev limiter on so try that and good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

1995 is OBD1.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

well i plan on doing a complete new exhaust system, so if it is the cat. then it will be replaced. ill prbly do the CKP sensor 2morow and i will post if that helped.

and i do know its OBD I, i realized that after i posted that he was OBD II lol
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

alrite, so i put in a TPS in last night and it ran fine half way through the day. then i went to the parts store to see if they had some window stuff, when i went back out, i started it (i did wait for the fuel pump like usual), put in OD and went about 50 ft and it died completely on me. it would crank but it wouldnt start. it sat for bout 10 minuets and it finally started, but it was REALLY rough and the tach. jumped to 5500RPM then died again, a second later, the tach. jumped to 1000RPM and it was dead. 5 minuets later it ran fine. i doubt its related to the TPS but something is going on
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

anyone got any ideas?