Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bump Stop question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bump Stop question

I have a RC 4.5" lift with 31's. So far I am connected in the front but have longer brake lines and going to disconnect soon. The rear sway bar is gone and I think I need to add some bump stops. It has lots of flex before rubbing, but the springs are starting to arch backwards...bad I know. Has anyone fabbed up their own bump stops, specifically the rear ones. I was thinking about making a plate or something that bolts to the u-bolts and would be adjustable up and down to limit travel. My only concern with this set up is the possible shearing force on the u-bolts. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea or have any pics of your bump stops?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I got 4 in rubber bumpers from NAPA. The kind used on the back of tractor trailers for hitting loading docks. Bolted them to 2x2 steel box tube and had the 2x2 welded to the "frame" where the stock bumps were. I'll get some pics sometime. My lift is a 4-4.5in bastard pack on 31s.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ

Originally Posted by bryanboonern
I have a RC 4.5" lift with 31's. So far I am connected in the front but have longer brake lines and going to disconnect soon. The rear sway bar is gone and I think I need to add some bump stops. It has lots of flex before rubbing, but the springs are starting to arch backwards...bad I know. Has anyone fabbed up their own bump stops, specifically the rear ones. I was thinking about making a plate or something that bolts to the u-bolts and would be adjustable up and down to limit travel. My only concern with this set up is the possible shearing force on the u-bolts. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea or have any pics of your bump stops?
I have a 4.5" lift with 32's and here is what i did. Bought a foot long piece of 2x4 aluminum rectangle tubing. Also had some 1/2" thick aluminum plate laying around. Removed my rear bumpstops, bolted together in this order. tubing, plate, bumpstop. Then installed on the jeep. Make sure you do dome test flex with it bc the first time i did, it hit my shock and dented it. All i had to do was adjust toward the outboard. i will try and get more pics up later, the wife has my camera in another state. The pic below is how i measured to see how much i needed to extend. the second is how far the tire was tucked in when i took the measurement. Remember also that you need to add 1/2" to your measurement to allow for the original bumstop to give. Hope this made some kind of sense.
Rusty

Last edited by warthog; 01-07-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by warthog
Make sure you do dome test flex with it bc the first time i did, it hit my shock and dented it. All i had to do was adjust toward the outboard.
How did this happen? I am trying to understand what you mean?

draw it in paint maybe?

Last edited by VAXJCOUNTRY; 01-07-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VAXJCOUNTRY
How did this happen? I am trying to understand what you mean?

draw it in paint maybe?
Man you are asking a lot. j/k. hopefully these are big enough for you to get the idea. paint only saves it at 14kb (very small). basically when my axle would go up, it would hit the corner of the bumpstop. so i ground down the corner a little and elongated the mounting holes so i could move it more towards the wheel

Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Epic MS paint...well played sir.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks,
All i got on the work computer. And thinking about it thats all i got at home too. Is there anything else out there better thats free?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

www.energysuspension.com, Energy suspension has a lot of different sizes and shapes. You Should be able to use any of these polyurethane bushings as a bump stop, Just a drill a few measured holes and away you go.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Since we are going to use paint, this is what I was thinking for the rear bump stops. Anyone see any problems with this or any thoughts on the idea?

Name:  Bump Stop.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  14.5 KB
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM

lots of stress on the ubolts I think...also buying aftermarket long u-bolts will cost you as much as just buying aftermarket long stops.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

My u-bolts are already really long.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by bryanboonern
My u-bolts are already really long.
Think it might bend them? What kind of plate would you use? 1/2 steel?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

In total the bump stop was lowered by 4 1/2". Is that too much? I took the difference between the stock tire size and what I am running now and lowered my bump stop around that which was about 2".
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by warthog
Man you are asking a lot. j/k. hopefully these are big enough for you to get the idea. paint only saves it at 14kb (very small). basically when my axle would go up, it would hit the corner of the bumpstop. so i ground down the corner a little and elongated the mounting holes so i could move it more towards the wheel

So yours was to far in toward the center? After reading it I see. I thought it was to far forward. How much of your 2in wide block is still on the unibody frame?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by VAXJCOUNTRY
Think it might bend them? What kind of plate would you use? 1/2 steel?
Was kinda thinking 1/4 inch with a horitontal support welded to the bottom to keep it from flexing, but my concern is really the shearing force on the u-bolts....not sure if they can handle the stress.

Quick Reply: Bump Stop question