Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

build the front or rear first.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default build the front or rear first.

i dont want the answer- well just save up your money and build both at the same time. i dont have time for that. i will do both eventually but i need to know weather to et the super 30 or the super 35 first
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by NJ-xj
i dont want the answer- well just save up your money and build both at the same time. i dont have time for that. i will do both eventually but i need to know weather to et the super 30 or the super 35 first
Not enough info in your post to answer this. When you say "build", what all are you referring to? Gears, lockers, disc brake conversions, truss, shocks, shiny new paint? Details man, need 'em.

The reason you see the answer "do both" so often is because if you're regearing it only makes sense to do them both.

EDIT: forgot to ask... what are you building it for? Rocks? Mud? To look pretty?

Last edited by Brad M.; 02-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Wouldn't waste the money on a Super 35.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

This is asked a lot and most people usually say front first, if your talking about a locker. I'm gonna have to agree with that and when I get a locker I will be locking the front first.

As far as the 35 most are gonna tell you to ditch it....I ran a 35 on 31's for a while an didn;t have any problems. But I would get yur self something stronger if your gonna go with a bigger tire.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Well since you have a "turdy" five in the back I would start there. It's your weakest link right now. In a perfect world you could replace it with a Dana 44 but those are expensive and hard to find. Your next choice for rear axles would be either a ford 8.8 or a Chrysler 8.25 with the 29 spline off a 97 and up xj.

After you get a new rear axle I'd start from there. Don't sink a dime into that Dana 35. Just my two cents...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
Well since you have a "turdy" five in the back I would start there. It's your weakest link right now. In a perfect world you could replace it with a Dana 44 but those are expensive and hard to find. Your next choice for rear axles would be either a ford 8.8 or a Chrysler 8.25 with the 29 spline off a 97 and up xj.

After you get a new rear axle I'd start from there. Don't sink a dime into that Dana 35. Just my two cents...
alright. what trims came with those in the rear? like if i go to a junk yard or craigslist it what models came with it.

and thank you everone else.

as far a building i wand a stonger set up, i want lockers but i want axels strong enough to not break under presure with lockers.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM

If you want a easy and cheap upgrade get a Chrysler 8.25 from a 97+ xj. There's always tons for sale and they are pretty cheap and easy to find at the junkyards. Be careful on CL tho some people try to sell them for like 300 bucks. You can find one easy for 75$.

They came on all 97+ xj's without ABS.

Oh btw when your getting the axle get the drive shaft also you will need to swap them.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

as far a building i wand a stonger set up, i want lockers but i want axels strong enough to not break under presure with lockers.
If you want a "stronger" setup as you put it, don't spend a penny on the D35. It will not hold up to wheeling with big tires and a locker.

What size tire are you wanting to run?

Here's a good guideline, copied from another XJ owner with several years experience building them and wheeling them hard;

Rear axles: The weak link in most rear axle setups is the shaft itself. C-clips, Set bearings or full-float makes no difference in torsional strength, it's all about axle shaft diameter. That said:

MTS (maximum tire size):

Dana 35: 31's with a locker, 31's without a locker. (This axle doesn't care if it's loaded or empty. It just plain sucks.) Weak housing, thin tubes, and a small 7.5" gear don't add up to much. I've seen them successfully trussed with a 30 spline kit stand up to 33', however.

29 spline Chryco 8.25: 33's with a locker, 35's without a locker. I just can't trust a 29 spline shaft to 35's with a locker. MAYBE with upgraded shafts. Good stiff housing, though, which contributes greatly to carrier and ring gear strength. upgrade your 27 spline to 29, and you'll gain these benifits.

Dana 44: 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. You can super-fy this axle with 33 and 35 spline shafts now, but the pinion becomes the weak link. They are a fairly good axle for most duty, but housing rigidity can become an issue with larger tires and high speed romps. Their tubes are not much larger than a 35. You could go 37's with 35 spline shafts if you kept your foot out of the throttle.

Ford 8.8: 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. Very similar in strength to a 44. Carriers are a weak link when used in extreme environments. New carriers are being introduced to address the weak 2 pinion carrier design. Shafts are beefy at 31 spline, but no diameter upgrades are available. Pinion shaft is very beefy, same as a 9". Weld the tubes all the way around to the pumpkin, or they WILL spin.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Skreed
If you want a easy and cheap upgrade get a Chrysler 8.25 from a 97+ xj. There's always tons for sale and they are pretty cheap and easy to find at the junkyards. Be careful on CL tho some people try to sell them for like 300 bucks. You can find one easy for 75$.

They came on all 97+ xj's without ABS.

Oh btw when your getting the axle get the drive shaft also you will need to swap them.
ok cool. thanks alot man
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's an in-depth guide of what year XJ came with what options...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=8
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Brad M.
If you want a "stronger" setup as you put it, don't spend a penny on the D35. It will not hold up to wheeling with big tires and a locker.

What size tire are you wanting to run?

Here's a good guideline, copied from another XJ owner with several years experience building them and wheeling them hard;

Rear axles: The weak link in most rear axle setups is the shaft itself. C-clips, Set bearings or full-float makes no difference in torsional strength, it's all about axle shaft diameter. That said:

MTS (maximum tire size):

Dana 35: 31's with a locker, 31's without a locker. (This axle doesn't care if it's loaded or empty. It just plain sucks.) Weak housing, thin tubes, and a small 7.5" gear don't add up to much. I've seen them successfully trussed with a 30 spline kit stand up to 33', however.

29 spline Chryco 8.25: 33's with a locker, 35's without a locker. I just can't trust a 29 spline shaft to 35's with a locker. MAYBE with upgraded shafts. Good stiff housing, though, which contributes greatly to carrier and ring gear strength. upgrade your 27 spline to 29, and you'll gain these benifits.

Dana 44: 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. You can super-fy this axle with 33 and 35 spline shafts now, but the pinion becomes the weak link. They are a fairly good axle for most duty, but housing rigidity can become an issue with larger tires and high speed romps. Their tubes are not much larger than a 35. You could go 37's with 35 spline shafts if you kept your foot out of the throttle.

Ford 8.8: 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. Very similar in strength to a 44. Carriers are a weak link when used in extreme environments. New carriers are being introduced to address the weak 2 pinion carrier design. Shafts are beefy at 31 spline, but no diameter upgrades are available. Pinion shaft is very beefy, same as a 9". Weld the tubes all the way around to the pumpkin, or they WILL spin.

im running 33's now. i dont think i need to go any bigger, they look appropriate, and they tuck in the wells pretty good, i think im gonna go with the crhysler 8.25 and lock it
Old 02-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

im running 33's now. i dont think i need to go any bigger, they look appropriate, and they tuck in the wells pretty good, i think im gonna go with the crhysler 8.25 and lock it
I've been running 33's on my 29-spline 8.25 with an ARB for 9 yrs now with no problems. Good stout axle for that tire size, you'll be fine.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's an in-depth guide of what year XJ came with what options...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=8
thats an amazingly informative section. thank you very much. i just learned alot about my jeep that i probably would have asked down the road haha.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

I've been running 33's on my 29-spline 8.25 with an ARB for 9 yrs now with no problems. Good stout axle for that tire size, you'll be fine.
alright. now the 30 is worth bulking up? stronger axels and such
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM

alright. now the 30 is worth bulking up? stronger axels and such
On 33's the d30 will be fine...If you want to upgrade alot of people will run alloy shafts and a locker. However your info says you have a 2000 i think you have a low pinion d30, alot of people like to swap them for a high pinion pre 99 d30.

Quick Reply: build the front or rear first.