Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bucking Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default Bucking Sucks!

My jeep (1995 Cherokee Sport 4.0) has a missing or bucking problem, it does not do it all the time and it feels like a fuel starving problem or loss of spark. During acceleration and steady throttle it starts to buck and feels as if it could be running on less than 6 cylinders. If i push the gas pedal to the floor it will accelerate/hesitate but sometimes pull through it. Parked or sitting at idle it will miss badly on and off. It did this about 3 or so months ago and I put a CPS sensor in and it fixed the problem or so I thought. Only things that are not new or less than 6 months old that i think could be related to the problem are the distributor, coil and fuel pump. It has new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, crank position sensor, injectors, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. Just looking for some guidance or advice before I throw more parts at it.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I would start by checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a mechanical pressure gauge. For your 95 it should have 39psi. That's where I would start. But that's me, then I would work from there.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM

I've had this very same problem, mine would some times back fire through the tb if you held the pedal to the floor. I changed both 02 sensors and it hasn't done it since. A friend of mine had the same problem to the T, ended up being the crank sensor ( a real ***** to change with the engine still in the vehicle) it's located on the top drivers side of the bell housing. good luck
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM

Year: 99

My first question would be where did you purchase the CPS. If it wasn't from the dealer it may be the issue. I had gotten one from the zone and it may have lasted 3 months..
Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Fivefifty%
My jeep (1995 Cherokee Sport 4.0) has a missing or bucking problem, it does not do it all the time and it feels like a fuel starving problem or loss of spark. During acceleration and steady throttle it starts to buck and feels as if it could be running on less than 6 cylinders. If i push the gas pedal to the floor it will accelerate/hesitate but sometimes pull through it. Parked or sitting at idle it will miss badly on and off. It did this about 3 or so months ago and I put a CPS sensor in and it fixed the problem or so I thought. Only things that are not new or less than 6 months old that i think could be related to the problem are the distributor, coil and fuel pump. It has new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, crank position sensor, injectors, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. Just looking for some guidance or advice before I throw more parts at it.
^
This doesn't make diagnosis easy. Describe the issue you are having in 1 complete sentence.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by landude
My first question would be where did you purchase the CPS. If it wasn't from the dealer it may be the issue. I had gotten one from the zone and it may have lasted 3 months..
The CPS did come from the zone. Just 3 months tho? It does seem like it would be the cps again tho since it is the same symptoms.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by smoker9000
I've had this very same problem, mine would some times back fire through the tb if you held the pedal to the floor. I changed both 02 sensors and it hasn't done it since. A friend of mine had the same problem to the T, ended up being the crank sensor ( a real ***** to change with the engine still in the vehicle) it's located on the top drivers side of the bell housing. good luck
I don't have any backfiring. Yeah the CPS is for sure a pain to change. It's looking like my autozone cps is failing. So looks like I'm gonna have to buy mopar. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Year: 99

I would return that to the Zone for a refund, pick one up at the dealer for a few dollars more..
Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by landude
I would return that to the Zone for a refund, pick one up at the dealer for a few dollars more..
$74.95 at the dealer ordered it today and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon! Can't wait to get rid of this bucking problem!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Fivefifty%
$74.95 at the dealer ordered it today and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon! Can't wait to get rid of this bucking problem!
I hate to say it. But I doubt that the CPS is your problem. Hopefully it is but I doubt it.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

My '89 that I used to have bucked.....

It turned out the problem was the wire was pulled out of the boot slightly at cylinder #6 and it was arcing over to my transmission dipstick. Pushed it back into the boot and reclipped on the spark plug and was good to go.

I chased it for a week and I just happened to be under the hood at night and saw that pretty blue arc.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

My '89 that I used to have bucked.....

It turned out the problem was the wire was pulled out of the boot slightly at cylinder #6 and it was arcing over to my transmission dipstick. Pushed it back into the boot and reclipped on the spark plug and was good to go.

I chased it for a week and I just happened to be under the hood at night and saw that pretty blue arc.

Sometimes with these XJ's, its something tiny and stupid that'll make you chase your tail.