Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Which brand of water pump.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Which brand of water pump.

With part manufacturers continually changing their country of manufacture what is the best brand of water pump these days.

I looked at RockAuto and they have a GMB unit for $47 where Summit sells the same unit for $79. Roughly the same price as a Mopar.

Not really against Mopar pumps but I seen one go out at 50K miles.

The one in there now is a Napa and has lasted close to 100K but I don't remember what brand it is. Napa keeps changing their brands.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Napa currently uses BBB manufacturing. They have a decent reputation at least from what I found on the web. I put one in last year and so far so good. That doesnt guarantee it will last forever but it seemed to be the best for the price when I got it. Just make sure you get new and not a reman.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:51 AM

I just checked the BBB Industries web site. They don't make water pumps.

The new pump that Napa is offering is made by Tru-Flow. Never heard of them.

RockAuto also has an AC Delco water pump for the same price as the Napa. Are these made in the US?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by brielly1
Just make sure you get new and not a reman.
I go the other way and prefer a reman factory pump. The wear parts are new regardless and I trust an old OE housing more than a new Chinese one. The quality of the parts and how they're assembled isn't reflected by new vs. reman, each could have good stuff or crap parts hammered together by the same guy into different housings so new doesn't guarantee good nor reman guarantee bad.

If a OE pump is available and in your budget it's probably the best guarantee you can get without knowing of another brand that makes quality stuff. I've replaced a lot of pumps being a mechanic and have yet to see early failures with even the cheapest stuff at the parts stores, but OE stuff is generally the most reliable.

Edit: The name on the box isn't always the manufacturer so beware. Ive even bought many OE parts at the parts store that were repackaged with some other name and sold much cheaper than a dealer. Sometimes they grind off the OE info on the part and/or re-stamp it. In one case they had two options, a cheaper and more expensive. When I looked at the two the OE part was the cheaper one and the cheesy looking China part was more expensive, both boxes had the same name. The China part did have a lifetime warranty compared to the one year on the OE part, but I trust the OE part more.

Last edited by '90Cherokee; 09-18-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

With the reman pump how can you be sure whose core and bearings they used for the rebuild?

I've decided to go with the GMB. They are a Japanese company and with tensions between them and China I would assume that their parts are made in Japan.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by william50
Thanks for the replies.

With the reman pump how can you be sure whose core and bearings they used for the rebuild?

I've decided to go with the GMB. They are a Japanese company and with tensions between them and China I would assume that their parts are made in Japan.
The core can be IDed by looking at it. As for the other parts, bearings, seal, etc. there's probably no way to know without tearing it apart unless the parts can be seen.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by william50
I just checked the BBB Industries web site. They don't make water pumps.

The new pump that Napa is offering is made by Tru-Flow. Never heard of them.

RockAuto also has an AC Delco water pump for the same price as the Napa. Are these made in the US?
Yup brain fart, it was my power steering pump that was bbb/napa, sorry bout that. As for new vs, reman. Ive never had luck with reman parts. Always shoddy work and crappy bearings. Its always new parts for me.