Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brakes Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Brakes Squeaking

I recently replaced the front rotors and pads and the rear drums with parts from JC Whitney. The front end squeaks horribly and when I asked the service manager of the Honda dealer I work at to check it out, he asked if they were genuine jeep components or after market. When I said after market, he told me to either deal with it or get genuine parts.

Is this just a "dealer mentality" or do I need to stick with genuine jeep parts?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I run aftermarket ceramic pads and they are as quiet as can be, so no, I don't think you need an OEM pad. I would definately recomend the ceramics, less noise and they put an end to the brake dust on your wheels.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherokai
I recently replaced the front rotors and pads and the rear drums with parts from JC Whitney. The front end squeaks horribly and when I asked the service manager of the Honda dealer I work at to check it out, he asked if they were genuine jeep components or after market. When I said after market, he told me to either deal with it or get genuine parts.

Is this just a "dealer mentality" or do I need to stick with genuine jeep parts?

Thanks
Its dealer mentality. I have always runafter market for everything . They want you to pay 5xs the price for the same thing.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Did the new pads come with shims to make up for wear on the caliper? If the pads are loose they can vibrate. If you don't have the shims try some CRC goo (disc brake quiet).
Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Which ceramic pads are you using Desert Rat?
I don't know about shims for the pads. The guy who did the job for me picked up the pads. They just might be really cheap pads.
I'll try and get some of the brake spray to see if that helps.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

I am having the same problem but with squelling, I replaced my calipers pads and rotors at the same time and they started squelling. i replaced the new pads with ceramic pads and they still squell. Went back to AA and they asked me if i bedded them in correctly, I didn't know what he meant. He said go 50mph and slam the brakes, then do it again like 5 times till you feel the brake pedal get mushy. then drive 10 miles without touching the brakes. He said that will fix the squell. I havent had a chance or a road to do that on but will when i get the chance. i will let you know