Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brakes, issues to the least...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons
Default Brakes, issues to the least...

Ight so I've been trouble shooting my brake issues for a while now. Pedal would build pressure then as you held it down it'd drop to the floor. So after sometime of trying to figure out what part it might be I went for the fix it all method. Now a key note about my jeep is that it is a 94 with abs. It's has a double-booster like the 95+ ones except it has a sensor that plugs into it. I also installed a new master cylinder as well. When I took them off I looked at the old booster and could tell it was busted and was leaking air. So now after installing the new booster and mastercylinder when the pedal is pushed it goes down about half way before it feels like it has pressure. The origonal problem is now gone where it was sinking to the floor as the pedal will hold the pressure once it gets it. Possibly just a little more air in the lines that needs to escape? Rebleed the master cylinder? Was I supposed to bleed the ABS pump some how? Tell me what you guys think.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

The FSM gives the procedure for bleeding the brakes on ABS equipped vehicles. If I remember correctly you need a DRBIII tool. You'll never get it right otherwise.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Where did you bleed it from in the first place? When replacing a master, you bench bleed it first and then once its in the vehicle, unless you have opened the system elsewhere, you bleed it from the lines coming out of the master just like you would with the bleeders down at the wheels. Doing it this way ensures that you don't push air all the way through the lines and into things like the ABS pump. If you bled it from the wheels, try again that way but as stated above, if can be a pain in the *** and may required a special tool to get the air out of the ABS pump.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

I bench bleed the master cylinder then bleed at the wheels. I'm going to try and rebleed the whole system again next week. I have a buddy with a scan tool so hopefully we can figure it out.