Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brakes / brake fluid etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Brakes / brake fluid etc.

We live in Mexico.

Recently we took our 2001 Cherokee Sport in to our regular shop for an 'annual' service. We need a new fan clutch, a new evap leak detector pump and probably a new ignition coil, and it is time for a new battery. All parts have be ordered, The mechanic also said we need a front end alignment and to have the rear brakes serviced.

Today we took the Jeep to a specialty tire/suspension shop we have used for years now. They did the front end alignment but when we went back to pick up the Jeep they said we needed new rear brake 'linings'. To be honest - I'm not sure if a brake lining is a brake pad, or it is something that attaches to a brake pad ? Anyway - we let the shop do the work. Total cost for the day - about $85 USD.

My wife drove the Jeep home and she says the brakes felt the same as before we had them serviced. I called our normal mechanic and he said he would have thought they would have bleed the brake fluid system. In 17 some years I really can't say we ever had that done. We very rarely used the dealer for service in the States. We called the tire shop and told them the brakes still felt spongy and maybe the fluid needs to be replaced. They said - the fluid levels look good and we saw no leaks - the brake fluid should be good virtually forever... But - they will certainly replaced the fluid for us for another $25 USD or so.

Comments appreciated.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by lhpdiver
We live in Mexico.

Recently we took our 2001 Cherokee Sport in to our regular shop for an 'annual' service. We need a new fan clutch, a new evap leak detector pump and probably a new ignition coil, and it is time for a new battery. All parts have be ordered, The mechanic also said we need a front end alignment and to have the rear brakes serviced.

Today we took the Jeep to a specialty tire/suspension shop we have used for years now. They did the front end alignment but when we went back to pick up the Jeep they said we needed new rear brake 'linings'. To be honest - I'm not sure if a brake lining is a brake pad, or it is something that attaches to a brake pad ? Anyway - we let the shop do the work. Total cost for the day - about $85 USD.

My wife drove the Jeep home and she says the brakes felt the same as before we had them serviced. I called our normal mechanic and he said he would have thought they would have bleed the brake fluid system. In 17 some years I really can't say we ever had that done. We very rarely used the dealer for service in the States. We called the tire shop and told them the brakes still felt spongy and maybe the fluid needs to be replaced. They said - the fluid levels look good and we saw no leaks - the brake fluid should be good virtually forever... But - they will certainly replaced the fluid for us for another $25 USD or so.

Comments appreciated.
Fluid levels can look good but if the fluid has deteriorated (it may have moisture in it) it will need to be replaced. If it's 17 years old, you got your money's worth.

Brake linings is another way of saying brake shoes which are in simple terms, brake pads for the rear brakes.

They would not have needed to bleed the system if they didn't replace a wheel cylinder, caliper or brake line, which it sounds like they didn't.

Everything sounds legit - I'd just take it back and have them do a full fluid replacement/bleed it at all 4 wheels. If they'll do that for $25 US that's a hell of a deal.

Last edited by PatHenry; 08-09-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I cant remember what the FSM says, but strictly speaking, brake fluid should be replaced by bleeding every few years, as

1) it absorbs moisture from air. 2) a buildup of old rubber crud

Secondly, a "spongy" pedal needs attention. Typically rubber brake lines should be replaced after about 20yrs, they can become swollen inside.

check them externally for signs of cracking, would be indicative of lifespan

3 new hoses at ~$20each, and a complete bleed is what I would consider
Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Thank you both. To me - the brakes don't seem all that spongy but both my wife and our general mechanic noticed it.

Something else that mechanic mentioned was - the emergency brake should be stiff to engage. If it isn't you need to have the rear brakes serviced. Does that logic make any sense ?

Edit : Is the emergency brake in someway related to the viscosity of the brake fluid ?

Last edited by lhpdiver; 08-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000

The emergency brake is a mechanical brake, your regular brakes are hydraulic. The emergency brake adjusts from under the vehicle, about halfway back on the driver's side. The emergency brake can be stiff if the mechanism and brake shoes are adjusted so that it is stiff. I prefer to have my emergency brake fully engage when the lever is about halfway up, but that's my preference.

Like other's have said, I would bleed the brakes. If you have never done it, it is long overdue.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Thank you both. To me - the brakes don't seem all that spongy but both my wife and our general mechanic noticed it.

Something else that mechanic mentioned was - the emergency brake should be stiff to engage. If it isn't you need to have the rear brakes serviced. Does that logic make any sense ?

Edit : Is the emergency brake in someway related to the viscosity of the brake fluid ?
fluid and e-brake are separate issues, handbrake being too "loose" after rear brake linings have been replaced is a sign the rear brake adjustment was not done correctly
(and the repairer was was too lazy to ensure they were right) .

I am fussy and want my rear drums perfect, takes me a few attempts..you dont notice under normal driving conditions, but slamming on brakes at speed on a wet road, then u want them perfect
Old 08-10-2018, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Worked in a brake shop so Ill cut to the chase.I think
Low pedal can be a squishy master cylinder, and
Low brake pedal is rear brake adjustment or worn out linings (shoes or (pads are what brake linings are called if you have rotors instead of drums
spongy brakes can be air in the lines or worn linings
brake fluid should be replaced every so often or per manual, but 17 years that fluid is toast. After that long you may run into frozen bleeder screws, so replacing wheel cylinders, which of course means unscrewing the brake line which is also rusted and needs replace.
You live in Mexico so not sure if rust is an issue but Safest bet is to replace all the brake lines. Insist on the copper/ nickel lines, which will not rust.
A leak, of course, will cause a sinking pedal..17 year old brake lines are due to be replaced or at least inspected very closely...nothing worse than loosing brakes

Emergency brakes use the same rear brake linings the regular brakes do , they just pull the linings via a wire cable when you pull the handle . The cables have a tendency to rust out and freeze on older vehicles, necessitating replacement. Often they are in two or three sections each one subject to replacement

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 08-10-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: just because
Old 08-10-2018, 07:22 AM

We are heading back to the shop in an hour. Going to let someone there take the Jeep for a spin. But - we going to have them replace the brake fluid anyways. Will post results later today,
Old 08-10-2018, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

The parking/emergency brake is cable actuated and has a wide range of adjustment. Needs to be set just right

Definitely flush that old fluid out. Brake fluid gets corrosive after it absorbs water, it would be a really good idea to do another flush 6 months down the road if you have never done it before.

Also make sure the rest of your XJ maintenance is complete. Generally speaking - differential fluid, transfer case fluid if equipped, power steering, and blinker fluid.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
The parking/emergency brake is cable actuated and has a wide range of adjustment. Needs to be set just right

Definitely flush that old fluid out. Brake fluid gets corrosive after it absorbs water, it would be a really good idea to do another flush 6 months down the road if you have never done it before.

Also make sure the rest of your XJ maintenance is complete. Generally speaking - differential fluid, transfer case fluid if equipped, power steering, and blinker fluid.
Six years ago when we drove here to Mexico from Florida we pulled a trailer behind the Jeep. We had the Jeep serviced at the dealer before that trip; I have a note in the glove compartment that they did work on the differential, front brakes, stabilizer but there is no mention of brake fluid.Had never heard of 'blinker fluid' before. I'll be sure and have them check that out too :-)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Well we had them change the brake fluid today. They were insistent that that was not necessary - but they did it anyway for around $25 USD.
Turns out that yesterday when we asked them to adjust the rear brakes, they looked at the rear brakes and said they were in great shape. What they did do yesterday was service the front brakes.
These people are genuine nice people and extremely professional. They seem to take a lot of pride in their work - to a fault.
They say it may take a couple hundred miles before the brake system settles in. They also adjusted the emergency brake.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

That is true, they do settle in after a while. One thing I forgot, is if you have drum brakes in the rear and a low pedal, the shoes can be adjusted up. With rear drum, that has a lot to do with pedal height. They probably did that...