Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake and Turn Signal Wonkiness - 99 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake and Turn Signal Wonkiness - 99 Classic

I have been doing quite a bit of searching already to find the answer and have tried a few things and nothing quite seems to address what I am seeing so I thought I would just ask the question. My apologies if the answer was out there and I missed it.

Here is the deal,

Part 1: Drivers side front turn signal indicator. Turn signal works but the light doesn't come on with the headlights like the passengers side one does. No issue with the bulbs, obviously.

Part 2: Drivers side taillight (top bulb, red portion of the light) doesn't come on with the headlights. It works as a break light. Again, no issue with the bulb.

I replaced the bulbs just to be on the safe side. I replaced the flasher relay with part EP27 as recommended by many. With the new relay in the turn signals didn't work at all. Was I told the wrong part or did I buy a dud?

Anyone have any idea what I need to do?
Thanks, guys! This is my first post!
-G
Old 12-29-2017, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Sounds like the new relay is a dud. Did you put the old one back in and then have turn signals function as they did previously?

I'd check the bulb sockets to make sure you have power. There should be a write-up for checking the relay with a multi-meter. That's where I'd start.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Model: Cherokee

Ok, so the new relay was a dud! But the problem remains. Any other ideas? I am pretty much at a loss at this point.

To summarize: With the headlights turned on, if you are looking at the back of the truck the drivers side tail light is not lit. If you apply the brake it will light up. Bulb good, socket good. If you are looking at the front the drivers side amber light is not lit (passengers side is lit) but if you use the turn signal it will light. Bulb good, socket good.

If I use the remote to lock the car the rear drivers side light flashes but not the passenger side.

Something is going on I just have no clue where to look next.

Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:08 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question Temporary fix...

I was having this issue and tried swapping the sockets, which worked...I cant say why but all my lights work properly. For now...

Anyone know why this actually worked? Im at a loss and would really like to know how/why this worked so I can actually fix the problem.