Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake question on Cherokee

Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake question on Cherokee

Hi,

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Live in MN. Road use only with little offroad. Stock vehicle. Just took it to a shop because this winter it started pulling really bad to the right when I would stop.

They just fixed a few problems on it (including new alternator and new windshield wash pump and oil change) and supposedly fixed the brake problem and said brake fixtures (you know, all those things in brake) were in good shape. BUT - now it is shaking a bit when stopping. On the right side. I would almost think something was rotating/stopping out of sync. Anyway, they told me it had a "shake" they couldn't figure out. Finally, I needed it, so they gave it to me, told me to drive it over the weekend and bring it back in if it seemed a problem and not the way the Jeep normally was. Well, YES(!!!), this is a problem and is not the way it was.

Ideas???

Last edited by lizs; 01-21-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typos and listed ALL repairs
Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

warped rotor take it back ,needs turning is a very good poss here
Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

first off, i question the shop you use... but anyways, the wobble could be due to a bad rotor. if its only when you are on the breaks that you feel it. if its durring acceleration or cornering, then maybe a bad ball joint or something. is there any clunking or poping noises?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM

I can't think of any klunking or popping noises. And believe me, I'm doing a slow burn here as to why these people think they can't figure this shake out. Maybe they're trying to rip the (supposedly stupid) gal off?!?!

Oh - but the alternator and washer pump were needed.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

another thought is to find a reputable garage and have them give it a quick once over. there is a shop that, unfortunatley, was the only one who could help me at the time, and the last time i was in there they charged me 200 bucks for a new ball joint, and didnt do a god damn thing!!! so, yes, beware the sleazeball shops!!! as for the symptoms, is it just the wobble/shake while breaking thing, or is there anything else like a vibration at any point?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Seems like it drives different in the winter, "stiffer." (I mean, it was -20 or so this morning and still damned cold out!) In the summer sometimes there's a small "bouncy" feel on highways with bad road sections, where they come together. That just occurs....

Lets see... about three years ago this Jeep got a horrible shaking. Can't recall now if it was when stopping or when driving. Since I've heard of the "horrible Jeep shake" I was concerned, but knew there was likely a solution. At that time I hadn't had tires rotated for a long time - and just had them done. I took it back to the shop (different shop than now), where "cupped tires" was proclaimed.

I then got new Firestone Destination ATs, which is what had been on it (and my farmer friend got really good tires with tread for use off the Jeep!!!). Oh - and I think before I got to that point, I also had gotten something replaced that helps take care of shake on the Jeep, like steering wheel shake. Can't recall what that was called. All this back in 2008. Can't remember what things I've had done in past year. But I am getting tires rotated regularly at Firestone dealer now, which is 35 miles away.

About this brake thing... I would be on snowy or slushy roads, hit the brake not all that hard and it would pull to one side. It did seem to get to be less of a problem the further the Jeep was driven or warmed up. Like the more I hit the brake, the less of a problem it was. So I would just sit and hit the brakes. Earlier this week I noticed, when putting on the brake, it didn't pull. But there was a screech.

This is probably all useless info... but just in case it helps... I'm sharing.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

does it have abs?