Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake problems

Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default brake problems

ok so Im stumped by this one my 90 cherokee the drivers side front brake was dragging so i checked it out caliper was seized replaced it found out the wheel bearing was gone too replaced the hub, brake still dragged so i pulled it all apart again caliper not seized this time all the sliders move fine piston moves fine so i replaced the flex line, brakes still drag.

I can drive it for a bit before you can feel it start to drag... brake obviously heats up on the drivers side..can feel the differnece in temp from driver to passangers, im at a loss...it seems like it only starts to drag after driving a bit...so now im not sure what it is anymore ive replaced everything aside from the hard line on the drivers side front

I even tryed another caliper and another flex line with no help

could it maybe be the prop valve? I thought they only did front and rear not side to side though?

any other ideas

if it is prop valve can i use one from a zj or yj or tj? i have access to those for free parts to try to fix my prob
Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

1)Brake hose on the passenger side may be restricted.

2)brake pad anchor may be bent or distorted(groves and notches) causing pads to hang up.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

ok tryed those too now still dragging...it seems like the longer i drive and more times i have to use the brakes it grabs worse, if i go for a 15 min drive and dont use the brakes at all its fine no dragging but if i go for a 15 min drive and have to use the brakes a few times it starts to grab and gets worse everytime i use the brakes, if i let it sit for about an hour it will stop dragging untill i drive it again.

im really really stumped ive replaced everyting to do with the front brakes just about
Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

check the steering knuckle where the ends of the pads slide, clean rust off real good and check for little indentations, if the dents and rust are present, it could be a good chance thats where its hanging...

EDIT: Im assuming theyre set up the same as the 97+'s

Last edited by storm101; 11-28-2009 at 08:11 PM.