Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake line leak

Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default brake line leak

I think i have a leak somewhere in my brake line because when im driving i have to pump the brakes repetitively to stop my vehicle. if i put brake fluid in it constantly the brakes work better. Could this mean i have a leak some where in my brake line
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

It's certainly possible you have a failed line. Do you see brake fluid dripping from anywhere?
You aught to check the wheel cylinders as they are a common source of leakage.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Andrew757
I think i have a leak somewhere in my brake line because when im driving i have to pump the brakes repetitively to stop my vehicle. if i put brake fluid in it constantly the brakes work better. Could this mean i have a leak some where in my brake line
First of all... welcome to the forum and Jeep family.
As to your question. We tend to use an unwritten format when asking for assistance on here.
Model, year, spec (engine/trans) drive-train, lift type (if any). And description of what the issue you're experiencing, and what you have done thus far, if anything. That really helps people respond in a more efficient manner in assisting you.

That being said, there are a few things that could be the cause of the issue you're experiencing.
1. have you checked around your brakes after stopped. Pulled wheels off to see if you have any visible leaking?
2. How old is the fluid in your lines? and/or the condition of the lines themselves? (they do wear out)
3. Have you had/done any brake service recently?
4. Have you checked for any leaking around your brake master cylinder?
5. Have you had to add any fluid to maintain the correct fluid level in the reservoir? (if so, keep checking because that fluid is going somewhere)
6. Check calipers (in front) and cylinders etc (in rear) for proper function? (and adjustment)
7. Any other symptoms you are experiencing? Vibration in the pedal? does the pedal drop to the floor at all? etc.
Answers to these types of questions will help us guide you in the right direction to solving your issue.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 01-16-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Definitely check for any wetness around the lines. If you can't find anything leaking - take it to a shop and have them put it up on a lift and inspect it. The fluid is going somewhere, and if that line bursts completely when you are panic stopping (when brake pressure is the highest), you will almost certainly regret not fixing it