Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default brake lights don't work

brake lights don't work. checked the brake switch it is good. i can jump power to the switch and it works. when i put a test light on the fuse panel i'm getting no power. could it be my panel. also, i have a battery drain, turn signals work for a second then turn off for no reason. my cherokee has a ghost in it.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: blown 4.7

I would fix one at a time, with the brakes are you checking from ground to the fuse on both points for the fuse. only one should be hot, you need to find out why you have no power there.
With the turn signals check you relays I found mine in the rear drivers side behind the panel where the spare tires mounts, rolled up in a sound deadening wrap I thought at first I found someones stash
What I would do is start unhooking things that you think might cause problems, I found a short in my parking lights tied in with the rear wiper
Electrical issues are a huge pain to get fixed some times or some times they will fix them selfs, I would use a volts meter over a test light so you know how much power you're getting. Test lights show power but not how much which means a lot "if it takes 12 volts to energize a relay and its only getting 5 you wont know with the test light, the light will light up but you will be ill informed"