Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bosch Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bosch Oil Filter

About 6 months ago I replaced the Wix oil filter in my 1996 Cherokee with a Bosh filter. First thing I noticed was the oil light went out in less than one second on startup. With other brand filters, it took quite a bit longer for the light to go out. I think this is a good situation, meaning that oil is flowing quickly when the engine is started. Any comments. Also, what is "renix"? - Cove
Old 10-31-2017, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Bosch are made by Champion Labs. They're usually not held in as high regard as Wix and Purolator/Motorcraft, but there's nothing particularly wrong with them.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cove
Also, what is "renix"? - Cove
I'm no Renix guru, and i'm mostly winging it here but...I'm pretty sure renix refers to some older XJ's that had Renailt/Bendix parts, possibly motor, I'm not sure.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cove
About 6 months ago I replaced the Wix oil filter in my 1996 Cherokee with a Bosh filter. First thing I noticed was the oil light went out in less than one second on startup. With other brand filters, it took quite a bit longer for the light to go out. I think this is a good situation, meaning that oil is flowing quickly when the engine is started. Any comments. Also, what is "renix"? - Cove
1986 to 1990 fuel injection system which was a joint venture of RENault and bendIX.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just passing on what I've learned on Bob is the Oil guy. Bosch is Purolator. Purolators have had tons of tearing issues over the past few years. Bosch filters for some reason don't seem to have as many tearing issues. But they do use louvers down the center tube instead of round holes and sometimes they fail to punch them out all the way, make sure to check before buying.

I like Wix, and believe it or not, Fram Tough Guards or the Ultra. Those all have been proven to be quality filters in recent times.

Basically...todays Purolator is not your dad's Purolator and today's Fram is not you dad's Fram either.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

That's right... I forgot Champ Labs hasn't made Bosch filters in several years.