Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bondo body filler?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Bondo body filler?

anyone have any experience using the bondo type filler for body damage?

any products to recommend?

I got into an accident and insurance totaled it so i'm buying it back and doing the work myself. only dent i need to fix is in the back latch about the size of a softball. I figured I would just fill it with bondo and sand it down.

any input appreciated.

thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 PM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there pretty much all the same. its got directions on the can just mix it up and slap it on. the worst part is sanding it down and making it look good so try and smooth it out while its still soft.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

I would try to slide hammer the dent out a little before you bondo.
It will save you a ton of work.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Definetly try and pull the dent out before adding filler. I would try to use as little as possible due to the cracking effect after time.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Year: 1999

Pull the dent out with the slide hammer like they said. Body filler does vary, not much but i does vary. I use Bondo sand it down till its flat then i use poly icing over the top of the Bondo and sand it with 320 grit. Should come out perfect if you do it right.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Buy a wood planer. It will save you a lot of sand paper and time. Or at least use a file. It takes quite a bit of effort to sand a slight bulge.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

I would just find a hatch in the JY, bondo isn't expensive, but its not "cheap" either after sand paper, bondo, paint, ect. a hatch in a U-pull-it yard is only $30-$45 by me... worth a shot, you could wait and get one the same color too.

But from my experience all body filler is about the same, it really boils down to prep work.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: inline 6

im getting my AA in auto body in a couple of weeks, and here in california its 25 bucks for a gallon of good bondo. so its not to expensive. but yea, how others have said, its easier to pull the dent out first, then use the bondo to fill small low spots..its not good to put bondo thicker than an 1/8 of an inch. but after you pull the dent out put small layers of bondo..i prefer 2 layers of bondo..ther first to just fill the low spots and seconds to smothen it out..for the second coat i would usually use putty but that stuff is expensive, after the first layer just sand with 80 grit, after you smooth down the first layer, put a second coat..try to make it smooth as possible, then you can sand that down with 120 or 180. and if thats good enough for your taste, after the 120 or 180 your good to primer.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L I6

I am a body tech I would not advise just slapping some filler in there it will crack off in no time. You need to repair the damage to at least an 1/8th inch from factory before using the filler. I prefer to pull dents out to at least 1/32". On the lift gate if the damage is repaired and you are ready for filler I would pickup some fiberglass filler. It is much stronger and will last longer. As long as you apply all fillers to bare metal you should be good. If it were me personally I would find a used hatch buy it and save time and money in the long run.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Year: 1997

I might be thread jacking here but I will be finishing up with my body mods ( Home built vented hood, chopped front fenders and mini tubed out rears along with the rear quarter) So with that said I am almost done with the welding part and I have no major blimishes. really I would say I want to use the bondo or filler in a super thin layer just to make it look perfect. Is that the correct use of the bondo in my situation? or is there a finisher for something like that. I have used a flapper/blending wheel and litterally have my welds to the poing that if it werent for the bare metal you couldnt tell. Ideas? Input? I guess really the worst area that I need to fix is the hood. when bending down one of my flaps (in the future ima cut the flaps out completely then weld them in) I put a very slight crease in the sheet.

Last edited by Metalgearmurder; 11-08-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Metalgearmurder
I might be thread jacking here but I will be finishing up with my body mods ( Home built vented hood, chopped front fenders and mini tubed out rears along with the rear quarter) So with that said I am almost done with the welding part and I have no major blimishes. really I would say I want to use the bondo or filler in a super thin layer just to make it look perfect. Is that the correct use of the bondo in my situation? or is there a finisher for something like that. I have used a flapper/blending wheel and litterally have my welds to the poing that if it werent for the bare metal you couldnt tell. Ideas? Input? I guess really the worst area that I need to fix is the hood. when bending down one of my flaps (in the future ima cut the flaps out completely then weld them in) I put a very slight crease in the sheet.
yea, bondo works great for finishing thigs like that up, i am currently making my cowl hood, and after i grind my welds down i plan on putting a small layer of bondo just to fill the small pinholes im bound to leave..as long as bondo is applied to bare metal, in a thin layer, you should be fine..just sand and prep and you should be good to go
Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by hearsedriver
I am a body tech I would not advise just slapping some filler in there it will crack off in no time. You need to repair the damage to at least an 1/8th inch from factory before using the filler. I prefer to pull dents out to at least 1/32". On the lift gate if the damage is repaired and you are ready for filler I would pickup some fiberglass filler. It is much stronger and will last longer. As long as you apply all fillers to bare metal you should be good. If it were me personally I would find a used hatch buy it and save time and money in the long run.
+1
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

thanks i banged out the dent from the inside as much as possible and filled it in today. And buying a new hatch wasnt an option because the junkyard by me isnt cheap. $60 for a heated mirror so I couldnt imagine what the whole liftgate would be.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: Check

Moved to OEM Tech.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho