Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bonding metal clip to plastic molding

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default bonding metal clip to plastic molding

Hey all,
I broke a few metal clips from the upper interior moldings that hold the headliner in. The moldings aren't cheap to replace and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good glue/epoxy that would make a strong bond between the metal clip and plastic molding.
Thanks,
Mill

See attachment for picture of intact clip and molding
Attached Thumbnails bonding metal clip to plastic molding-uppermoldingclip.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I would approach it with either standard 5 minute epoxy (like you can get at Lowes in the two small bottles that you mix together) or JB Quik Weld. Creating a layer between the metal and the plastic, but also making sure to get some of the epoxy built up around the edges of the metal, and pushed through any holes in the metal. So that it produces adhesion, but also some mechanical grab on the metal.

For this type of job, I have also been liking JB Quik Weld. Similar to JB Weld, but black, thicker, and cures VERY fast. What I have been liking about it is that it is relatively forgiving between different materials, is thick enough to create mechanical attachment in addition to just surface adhesion (and its surface adhesion is really decent on its own). And finally, I like that it retains a certain flexibility (almost like a super hard rubber) that allows it to resist cracking or failing on parts that move, bend, or vibrate.

In either case I would make sure that the surfaces are chemical/oil clean using something like denatured alcohol, and I would "scuff" any smooth plastic or shiny metal, which can help increase the surface area for the adhesion.

Last edited by jordan96xj; 06-08-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Mill
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good glue/epoxy that would make a strong bond between the metal clip and plastic molding.
Yes, but it's not inexpensive,
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Wel...=1&*entries*=0
Old 06-09-2016, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I like to use a soldering iron and re-melt the clip back into place carefully. You can then use the suggested glues to further reinforce it. There's a "plastic welder" glue by Devcon that you mix similarly to epoxy that I use.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I broke that exact same clip off the pillar over the driver's side door that goes down into the dash when I removed my headliner to have it redone. I used J.B. Weld. Part # 8276. There was enough left on the pillar to know the exact location of the clip and to secure it to. It held when I popped the molding back in. I just removed my headliner again and the glue did not hold when I had to pop out that pillar again though. Not that I really thought it would.