Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Body Repair: Front Fender and Grill Header 94'Cherokee.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Body Repair: Front Fender and Grill Header 94'Cherokee.

I'm new to the forum here and am looking for any help possible in trying to repair my beloved 94' Cherokee. She has 160,000 miles, 5-speed and is a 4x2. Everything works great on the Jeep and I don't want to scrap it so I'm going to attempt repairing the body damage myself.

If anybody has any experience or tips regarding my type of repair I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm including 2 pictures of my damage in the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails Body Repair: Front Fender and Grill Header 94'Cherokee.-wreck-2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hi and welcome to CF. I'm not a body guy but I can tell you that eBay has headers for $29 for your jeep, here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem= I bought one from this seller because the old owner cut mine to get into the hood when the cable broke...Tj
Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
Hi and welcome to CF. I'm not a body guy but I can tell you that eBay has headers for $29 for your jeep, here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem= I bought one from this seller because the old owner cut mine to get into the hood when the cable broke...Tj
Thanks, I've been looking at those parts on ebay and I plan on buying and using them even though my local body repair man refered to them as "crap".
Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

I just did some sanding before I primed it and it came out Great and for less than half the price. I guess it would be how much you have to spend in the decision on where to get one, in my case I went for eBay...Tj
Old 12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET EVERYTHING HERE, opps caps...
http://www.pershingauto.com/19842001...ot-grand-.html
Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Wagoneer

and here
http://market.autopartsfair.com/sear...id=8&part_id=0
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the tips, they've been helpfull... I'll take some more if anybody has any.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 76ANTHONY
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET EVERYTHING HERE, opps caps...
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
even with cruise control, you still need to steer

Check out salvage yards, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. I bet you'll find a spare part, and another two in case you mess up the first one.

The XJ's design is cookie-cuttertastic.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM

Year: 1991

Looks like a pretty easy fix. Just check and see if the upper rail is bent at all when you take off that fender. If it is, it'll make aligning the new fender a pain in the ***.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carlz0r
Looks like a pretty easy fix. Just check and see if the upper rail is bent at all when you take off that fender. If it is, it'll make aligning the new fender a pain in the ***.
It has a small bend in the rail... I have an airline mechanic friend who's going to give me a hand this weekend, I'm feeling confident it will come out ok. My local salvadge yard has 7 Cherokees... Hoping one is the same color, if so my repair costs might be less than $75.00 and a 12-pack

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jupiterjeep
It has a small bend in the rail... I have an airline mechanic friend who's going to give me a hand this weekend, I'm feeling confident it will come out ok. My local salvadge yard has 7 Cherokees... Hoping one is the same color, if so my repair costs might be less than $75.00 and a 12-pack

Thanks again for the tips.
I want to see that jeep fly....literally.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well, get a header panel from a junkyard...cheap, and it will have all the parts which got broke in the accident.

judging from the pic, I'd say the impact was above the bumper...this is good. your frame rail isn't bent or collapsed then, and you shouldn't have developed any week points near the steering box (Xj's need all the strength they can get in that department. don't fret, this is probably nothing you need to concern yourself about)

the inner fender is probably pretty bent up...any chance you can give us a pic of the inside of the front left corner of your engine bay? I'd like to see how crumpled up it is before I give you a full opinion.

I had a similar accident on my 87 MJ, though I got it after they covered it up with new body panels. the best answer was to drill out spot welds and replace the damaged section, but I didn't have time. so, I got out the torch, a slide hammer, and a few BFH's and just had at her until it was pretty straight, then welded up the broken pinch welds...it's not pretty under there, but it gets the job done until I tear the motor and such out in the next few weeks.

it's a straightforward fix, and there's no need for "professional help"

remember, beer is liquid courage, so don't be discouraged. have at 'er, but leave the keys in the house
Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
remember, beer is liquid courage, so don't be discouraged. have at 'er, but leave the keys in the house
^ x2 on that.

Your XJ can take a punishment, don't be afraid to get a little (carefully) violent with it if the part isn't quite doing what you want it to. As with all things jeepin and otherwise: think, solve.

*Slaps roof* P'diddle!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by hubbazoot
I want to see that jeep fly....literally.

If this forum has a "post of the week" or a "rep" feature... You are deserving my friend, thanks for the early morning laugh.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
well, get a header panel from a junkyard...cheap, and it will have all the parts which got broke in the accident.

judging from the pic, I'd say the impact was above the bumper...this is good. your frame rail isn't bent or collapsed then, and you shouldn't have developed any week points near the steering box (Xj's need all the strength they can get in that department. don't fret, this is probably nothing you need to concern yourself about)

the inner fender is probably pretty bent up...any chance you can give us a pic of the inside of the front left corner of your engine bay? I'd like to see how crumpled up it is before I give you a full opinion.

I had a similar accident on my 87 MJ, though I got it after they covered it up with new body panels. the best answer was to drill out spot welds and replace the damaged section, but I didn't have time. so, I got out the torch, a slide hammer, and a few BFH's and just had at her until it was pretty straight, then welded up the broken pinch welds...it's not pretty under there, but it gets the job done until I tear the motor and such out in the next few weeks.

it's a straightforward fix, and there's no need for "professional help"

Under the front fender there is a slight bend in the rail (no camera at work, I'll post a picture later), it looks like it will be fairly easy to bend back without too much fussing. It's maybe a 15 degree single bend, a rubber hammer should get it close.

Looking at the front end I keep getting the feeling that replacing the panels will be easy, but I don't want to take it lightly. My main mission at this point is to get a headlight in there and some straight panels.

Thankfully I have been able to sucker some people over to the house on Sunday... It goes like this "hey, come on over Sunday for the Dolphin game, I've got beer and wings and uh, bring your tools too".

Quick Reply: Body Repair: Front Fender and Grill Header 94'Cherokee.