Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Body Control Module

I really think I need a Body Control Module, but I am having a hard time locating one. Any recommendation of suppliers from anyone?

'86 XJ Sport - 4X4

Also, what is the better nomenclature? I see it as BODY CONTROL MODULE and as CHASSIS CONTROL MODULE.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am sorry I have never heard of what your are looking for.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996 & 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Do you mean PCM power control Module or TCU transmission control module. What problem are you having.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

86 XJ Sport doesn't have a BCM - body control module.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Maybe if I had one of these, I could learn to dance. LOL
Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Maybe if I had one of these, I could learn to dance. LOL
Ballroom or Pole
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Uh Oh... Maybe that's why I can't find one??? LMFAO!

Okay, same problem with the gauges. Fuel, Tach and Speedo do not work. Volt, Temp and Oil Pressure do. The electrical issues are progressing, now with the door locks not activating to the "Lock" command, but they do to the "Unlock" command. Everything else electrical seems to be working as designed, so far.

I have tried the #7 fuse (all fuses), looked for a Body Ground issue and checked the connections on the back of the cluster. (the quick 10 minutes to remove the gauges surprised me).

All fuse blocks seems secure and there are no obvious wiring shorts/damage.

If it were my Cherokee it would would be no problem, but this is my newly licensed driver 17 year-old daughter's XJ. Speed and Fuel instrumentation are rather important.

I was told by the previous owner that the gauge problems happened as he went over some railroad tracks, like the vibration caused it. But, I would think that they would occasionally show signs of life if it were a mere short or loose plug/wire issue.

Ideas?

Again, THANKS to all...
Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Main Ground to the engine block.

another ground from the battery to the body

and the third ground from the intake manifod the the body.

There is another ground in the rear dr side tail light area. but that is mainly for rear acc.

All of these grounds can cause electrical problems. Really sounds like a ground issue.

As far as door locks well the motors on those don't last long. If you can get to them I would lube all the locking components on each of the doors. They are more than likely too stiff for the small motors to move anymore. I had problems with mine and then I took one of them apart and cleaned it up well now it is the only one that works cause I didnt feel like doing the rest.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by TexasKid747
Okay, same problem with the gauges. Fuel, Tach and Speedo do not work. Volt, Temp and Oil Pressure do. The electrical issues are progressing, now with the door locks not activating to the "Lock" command, but they do to the "Unlock" command. Everything else electrical seems to be working as designed, so far..
your fuel sender may be shot.......the VSS on the trans may be bad...its located on the side of the trans and runs the tack and spedo. door locks i would check the wire harness in the door jam remove the boot and sock over the wires and see if any are cracked....very common problem!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96
Ballroom or Pole
If I start pole dancing, I'm going to have gay men chasing me everywhere. I will take ballroom. Is that my only choice? I was hoping for the usual tavern without having to imbibe so much alcohol.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TexasKid747
Uh Oh... Maybe that's why I can't find one??? LMFAO!

Okay, same problem with the gauges. Fuel, Tach and Speedo do not work. Volt, Temp and Oil Pressure do. The electrical issues are progressing, now with the door locks not activating to the "Lock" command, but they do to the "Unlock" command. Everything else electrical seems to be working as designed, so far.

Again, THANKS to all...
OK, I'll be serious now. The Speedo is mechanical. Since you have the instrument cluster out, take the drive cable off the back and try to turn the cable inside. If you can, then it is probably broken and needs to be replaced. If you can't turn it, try turning the little part where the cable connects. The speedo should register speed. If not, it needs to be replaced.

The door locks work, but your switch doesn't work right. You have a bad connection at the plug or inside the switch. Take the plug off the switch and clean the terminals, they are brass and will corrode. If that doesn't work, replace the switch.

The oil pressure gauge sends power to the sending unit and the resistance of the sending unit determines what the gauge reads. Check the wire at the sending unit to see if it has 12V. Do the same for the fuel sending unit on the gas tank. It should have 12V also. Is there anything else that doesn't work also? If so, check the fusible links on the starter relay. One of them is probably fried, but will not appear so visibly. You will have to take a straight pin and pierce the wire downstream from the fat green part and use a volt meter or test light to check for voltage.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2009, 01:52 AM

Oh Crap... my first post said '86... It's a '96. Maybe I shouldn't post when I need sleep! Lol....

(I added a signature with the CORRECT vehicle details to prevent that error, again...!)

Last edited by TexasKid747; 08-31-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM

Sounds just like mine. I have a 96 also. Lifted, etc....., but I did the same thing. I hit some railroad tracks and lost my speedo, tach and gas also. I checked the grounds from the head to the firewall, and the battery to the fender. There is also a group of about three wires that go to the block on the passenger side. About half way down the block behind the dipstick. Two of the wires are good size and the third was real small. The small wire had broke and was just hanging. I want to say it was black with a red or orange trace on it (half way dead led light at night, hard to see colors). This wire came out of the wiring harness by itself if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps. This happened to me last week so I know what you're going through. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the gauge cluster and clean the contacts.
The instuments get their signal via the CCD Buss.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM

It won't hurt to check the cluster. That's what I did after I checked all the fuses first. I was told the tell-tell sign of a loose ground was that even though my low fuel light was on, the neddle was pegged way past the full mark.

It was strange that the speedo, tach, and gas gauge quite but every other gauge worked fine.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Body Control Module