Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blowing through ignition switches

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Blowing through ignition switches

I'm on my 7th ignition switch, first 6 were ****ty auto zone ones that lasted a day or 2. My 7th is from Crown Automotive a jeep store. This one lasted 2 months but just like the rest when the key is off the brake light will come and killing my battery after a few hours. Guess it's a wiring issue like a bad ground but I can't find any wirinf diagrams for the switch. Any one had this problem or have a wiring diagram? 99 Cherokee sport automatic 4.0
Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Get a copy of the Factory Service Manual for the 99 XJ and it will have every wiring diagram you could want.

I don't know how your brake light coming on is related to the ignition switch, at least not directly.

I replaced the ignition switch in my TJ with the Autozone one (it's the same part used in the 99 XJ) and it gave me a couple years of reliable service (and for all I know is still fine..).
Old 04-04-2018, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by SjGray25
I'm on my 7th ignition switch, first 6 were ****ty auto zone ones that lasted a day or 2. My 7th is from Crown Automotive a jeep store. This one lasted 2 months but just like the rest when the key is off the brake light will come and killing my battery after a few hours. Guess it's a wiring issue like a bad ground but I can't find any wirinf diagrams for the switch. Any one had this problem or have a wiring diagram? 99 Cherokee sport automatic 4.0
Based on your description, it is the brake switch that should be getting your attention. If the brake lights on the rear of the vehicle are coming on and killing the battery, that is not typically an ignition switch problem.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:00 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

what happens to the switches ? you can actually see burnt out connections ?

marc
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Are you talking the rear brake lights or is it the brake light on the dash ? if it is the dash do you have ABS because if you do it could a relay for the ABS or the computer for the ABS . what happens to the ignition switch ?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by LadyKenai
what happens to the switches ? you can actually see burnt out connections ?

marc
the brake light would just not go off ever. I found the issue it's the gray and black wire from the ignition switch has a direct short. The wire goes to the brake booster and e-brake
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Based on your description, it is the brake switch that should be getting your attention. If the brake lights on the rear of the vehicle are coming on and killing the battery, that is not typically an ignition switch problem.
Its a direct short on the blk and gray wire from the ignition switch. I have to find the short and run a new wire
Old 04-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Are you talking the rear brake lights or is it the brake light on the dash ? if it is the dash do you have ABS because if you do it could a relay for the ABS or the computer for the ABS . what happens to the ignition switch ?
Brake light on the dash and the light would never go off no matter what until I got a new switch. See above replays for problem description
Old 04-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Get a copy of the Factory Service Manual for the 99 XJ and it will have every wiring diagram you could want.

I don't know how your brake light coming on is related to the ignition switch, at least not directly.

I replaced the ignition switch in my TJ with the Autozone one (it's the same part used in the 99 XJ) and it gave me a couple years of reliable service (and for all I know is still fine..).
There's a gray and blk wire from the ignition switch that's a signal wire to the brake booster and e-brake I have to find the short in the wire. It burnt the sheathing off the wire
Old 04-05-2018, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SjGray25
Its a direct short on the blk and gray wire from the ignition switch. I have to find the short and run a new wire
How do you know it's a short?

Why would you run a new wire? If you can find the 'short', just fix it. If it really is a short, it can almost certainly be repaired fairly easily, without a major project like running new wire.