Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Big wheel or not? Switch to16 inch wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Big wheel or not? Switch to16 inch wheel?

I have 2000 sport which is 98% a DD. (Logging road trail twice in the year) A few months ago I bought a set of 16 inch Icon wheels I found in the junkyard which were on a 98 limited. I am in need of new tires and am thinking of switching to the larger wheel.

My search of the forums revealed threads which discussed this question mostly in terms of off-road use and not so much for a pavement queen.

I am going with a stock size tire, either 225/70 or 235/70 and have not decided on brand.

So is there any reason not to use the larger wheel.

Sorry for the nube type question but as expensive as tires are I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Kycheokee
Nope. I have been running Icons on mine since June of 2000 with no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks for the reply.

The more I read I am not sure there is that much difference between the 2. I made an uninformed decision when I bought these wheels and just thought at the time, these were optional so they must be better.

There may be better handling with the 16 assuming the same profile but still its a jeep. IfI run the 235/16 it looks like my speedometer will be even more off. (Its already 3 mph fast).

2000 Sport. 4.0 C 8.25 LSD. 242 TC. 111,000 miles. (Just Empty Every Pocket!)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

You're at a point where you just pick the wheels and tires
that look/work best for you, then get a new speedometer
gear (about $40) to correct that problem.

Stock 225/75/R15 tires are the same size as 225/70/R16.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

There may be better handling with the 16 assuming the same profile but still its a jeep.
Doubtful. An inch on the rims isn't going to make much of a difference on this type of vehicle.

When I ordered my Cherokee, I tried to order it with Eccos because I didn't like the Icons. I wanted the Limited package, and the salesman told me I couldn't get the Eccos with that package, it had to include the Icons. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't get my way, because 17 years later I like the Icons and think the Eccos look kind of cheap.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I have 2000 sport which is 98% a DD. (Logging road trail twice in the year) A few months ago I bought a set of 16 inch Icon wheels I found in the junkyard which were on a 98 limited. I am in need of new tires and am thinking of switching to the larger wheel.

My search of the forums revealed threads which discussed this question mostly in terms of off-road use and not so much for a pavement queen.

I am going with a stock size tire, either 225/70 or 235/70 and have not decided on brand.

Sorry for the nube type question but as expensive as tires are I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
My 2001 60th Anniversary Edition came standard with 16" wheels. It is also a 98% DD. I just put a set of Cooper A/T 3's on it in 225/70 R 16 size. With mounting and balancing it was about $650. If I had 15" wheels, the cost would have been closer to $450. With all of the rubber around the wheels, I don't think on road handling would be any different with either wheel size. Off road, I think the 15" wheels would be better since there would be more sidewall to flex and absorb shocks. BTW, the Cooper's were the best price and are great in the rain and very quiet on the road. I've heard good things about the snow performance. I bought them because of the good marks they got in the rain and snow. Otherwise, they are large, round, black rubber donuts that keep my wheels from hitting the ground.

I am usually a snob when it comes to tires. Michelin Pilot Sport's on my 2008 Jaguar XJ, Conti Extreme Contacts on my wife's Merc. I'm not trying to sound like a snob but I'm not doing a very good job of it. My Jeep is my winter car so my Jag can stay in the garage all winter (it sucks in the snow). It was just a little more to buy the Jeep as a winter car than get dedicated snow tires and wheels for the Jaguar! I get to drive an XJ all the time!

Last edited by Black & Tan; 09-05-2017 at 08:27 PM.