Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Best OBD2 code reader for cherokee XJ '96

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Best OBD2 code reader for cherokee XJ '96

Hi guys,

I would like to purchase OBD code reader for my XJ. Anyone knows what brand and type that can be purchased in ebay. Im located in Indonesia. Hard and impossible to buy in here. I have to pay USD30 everytime I want to get codes or just maintaining my car after oil and filters change. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm not sure what you mean by best code reader, but if you want to be able to scan in addition to just read codes, Ebay frequently has Snap-On MT2500's. They're not cheap, but they're everything you're likely to need for a '96. They are obsolete for newer cars, but it will work fine for yours.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 AM

if you have a smartphone with bluetooth and running on android...

download the free torque app and then buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-B...motiveQ5fTools

I use the same one with my droidx phone. you can read/erase codes as well as datalog in real time and watch realtime sensor inputs, etc...

works great too once you figure out how to get it set up properly
Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

For the money, I like EQUUS, INNOVA, ACTRON code readers. Good quality and a good bang for the buck.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: I6

I bought the Actron CP9180 from Amazon for $100. It's got all the diagnostics stuff for o2 sensors and reading codes. Has a feature that collects statistics from all the sensors that can then print off on a computer. Probably overkill for what I wanted, but I'm happy with it.

K
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by wildbill1
I'm not sure what you mean by best code reader, but if you want to be able to scan in addition to just read codes, Ebay frequently has Snap-On MT2500's. They're not cheap, but they're everything you're likely to need for a '96. They are obsolete for newer cars, but it will work fine for yours.
What I mean is code reader that have a complete software that can scan the jeep completely..I would prefer an affordable one which is enough to scan the car thoroughly. thanls for the heads up.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by stackz
if you have a smartphone with bluetooth and running on android...

download the free torque app and then buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-B...motiveQ5fTools

I use the same one with my droidx phone. you can read/erase codes as well as datalog in real time and watch realtime sensor inputs, etc...

works great too once you figure out how to get it set up properly
Too bad I'm using blackberry phone.. Thx fot the info anyway..
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
For the money, I like EQUUS, INNOVA, ACTRON code readers. Good quality and a good bang for the buck.
How much does it cost? How do I search in ebay? By the way what can OBD reader do besides read n erase ? Can it be used to set the rpm level or others? Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2001XJWeekender
I bought the Actron CP9180 from Amazon for $100. It's got all the diagnostics stuff for o2 sensors and reading codes. Has a feature that collects statistics from all the sensors that can then print off on a computer. Probably overkill for what I wanted, but I'm happy with it.

K
Oh I see..I will try to search it on ebay. Amazon I think they don't ship overseas or do they? Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gold3n_8oy
How much does it cost? How do I search in ebay? By the way what can OBD reader do besides read n erase ? Can it be used to set the rpm level or others? Thanks
Ba careful what you buy. Scanners often don't have the capability to reprogram. My son, an auto tech, has a programmer loaded on his laptop that allows him to reprogram, but it's set-up specifically for one vehicle and additional licenses for different vehicles must be purchased from the software company.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 AM

Ba careful what you buy. Scanners often don't have the capability to reprogram. My son, an auto tech, has a programmer loaded on his laptop that allows him to reprogram, but it's set-up specifically for one vehicle and additional licenses for different vehicles must be purchased from the software company.
I see..thx u very much...good info. I will be more carefull.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

X2. Mt2500's aka " bricks" are gonna be the best bang for your buck. They can be had for as little as $100 from craigslist. The mt2500 however is not a code reader, its a scanner that has way more diagnostic features than a basic code reader. The "Bricks" are not obsolete just yet. They will cover vehicles up to 2008 with available software updates. The price of a brick when purchased new was around $3,000+ depending how much software you purchased with it. Since snap on released the newer "Solus" the bricks have became alot more affordable. If you do buy a brick make sure it does have the 1996 or later software cartridge with it

Last edited by knuckleduster271; 01-15-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Nobody mentioned ScanGauge II, if they did I missed it.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Big differenve in a Programmer (Edge, Banks, Bully Dog, ect..) and a Scanner, (Snap-On, Genisis, Matco,Cornwell Electric, Ect.). The programmer will modify rev limiters, tranny shifts, towing, performance, economy as well as read codes. But being it modifies performance, it's locked to the vehicle it modifies so you can't modify every Cherokee in your area. A Scanner will read codes, reset lights and is more of a tool than a performance accessary. It clears problems and diagnoses them.

Not hijacking but letting you know before you a buy a Edge Package and try to diagnose your buddies Jeeps and the screen says "This Device is locked to another VIN."