Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Belt squeal

Hey guys. I know this seems like a thread that has already been posted but my issue is appears to be a little different. So yes, my belt squeals with the a/c on, but only if the fan is on high. It won't squeal at a 1 or 2 level. However, if it is on a 1 or 2 and I use other electronics, such as the windows, then the belt starts squealing again! Today when I started my jeep I put two and two together. As it was running with the a/c I put the a/c fan speed on 2. I walked away from my jeep and I could hear my blower fan kick on for 2 seconds then turn back off, then back on for 2 seconds then back off, etc.. It sounds to me there might be a alternator problem and it's on it's last leg. Has anyone else ever experienced these issues?

I also has a clicking noise coming from the front driver side wheel. Sounds similar to a front wheel drive car that has a bad cv joint. Does anyone know what is the root of that problem? Is it a bad u-joint?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-13-2016, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Xj'd
Hey guys. I know this seems like a thread that has already been posted but my issue is appears to be a little different. So yes, my belt squeals with the a/c on, but only if the fan is on high. It won't squeal at a 1 or 2 level. However, if it is on a 1 or 2 and I use other electronics, such as the windows, then the belt starts squealing again! Today when I started my jeep I put two and two together. As it was running with the a/c I put the a/c fan speed on 2. I walked away from my jeep and I could hear my blower fan kick on for 2 seconds then turn back off, then back on for 2 seconds then back off, etc.. It sounds to me there might be a alternator problem and it's on it's last leg. Has anyone else ever experienced these issues? I also has a clicking noise coming from the front driver side wheel. Sounds similar to a front wheel drive car that has a bad cv joint. Does anyone know what is the root of that problem? Is it a bad u-joint? Thanks for the help
the clicking is probably a bad ujoint, not sure about the belt squeal but mine squeals too. Lol. Very annoying.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Try tightening the belt a little more. Give a 1/2 to full turn on the 15mm bolt that turns the tentioner. You'll need to loosen the bolt on the pulley first.
Make sure the 15mm tensioner is tight, then loosen the pulley bolt. Then turn it the 1/2 to full turn. tighten up the pulley bolt and give it a try.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray silicon on the running belt. The klick on and off in intervals of 2 sec. might be the a/c compressor and is a sign of lack of coolant fluid. The klick sound inside of the car can be the fan relais of the a/c compressor.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
the clicking is probably a bad u joint, not sure about the belt squeal but mine squeals too. Lol. Very annoying.
He said he hears the clicking after he starts it and walks away... I don't think it's the u joints

the clicking you are hearing is likely the compressor, and the reason it's doing it so fast is likely because you are getting low on refrigerant. Short cycling is the actual term this.

If you haven't replaced the belt in the last few years then invest in a new one, they are relatively cheap and easy to install. If the belt isn't that old adjust it as mentioned. and see what happens. remember that over tightening it can also cause light chirps in the instances you have mentioned. as well as put undue stress on the bearings of the accessory drive system.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 AM

The belt has been replaced and is brand new and is very tight. I feel like the it's alternator or an issue with it. The belt only makes noise if too many electronics are used, It's very strange. And I should have elaborated on on the click towards the front driver side wheel, It's a totally separate issue. When I first start driving and I'm driving slow, the wheel makes a click noise I'll pull out of my driveway with the wheel pinned to the left and it clicks. It only makes the noise when I first start driving. After 5 minutes or the wheel straightened out, it stops.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The belt has been replaced and is brand new and is very tight.
How tight is it in ft lbs? Did you use a belt tension gauge? A new belt has to be tightened to between 180 and 200 ft lbs, which is considerably tighter than most people expect. A used belt should be between 140 and 160 ft lbs. Yours is probably stretched enough now to be considered used.

Order a Krikit belt gauge and check it again. Some Napa stores carry them if you'd rather buy it local. It's about $15.

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-B.../dp/B000CRDLZM

Also, make sure nothing is leaking onto the belt. And don't spray anything on the belt. If it's tight enough and still slipping, you have a problem that belt dressing won't fix.

The belt only makes noise if too many electronics are used, It's very strange.
It's not strange. You're putting a greater load on the alternator. The alternator is driven by the belt. A greater load on the alternator makes it harder to turn the pulley. A loose or contaminated belt will slip under those circumstances.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Year: 2001

When I replaced my belt, it would squeal when i ran the ac and lights at the same time. I just shut it off added a little more belt tension then restarted it to see if it still slipped. I did this a few times until the slipping quit. I went this route to make sure i didn't over tighten the belt.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by XJRed96
He said he hears the clicking after he starts it and walks away... I don't think it's the u joints .
I don't see that, your thinking of when he heard the blower motor.

I also has a clicking noise coming from the front driver side wheel. Sounds similar to a front wheel drive car that has a bad cv joint. Does anyone know what is the root of that problem? Is it a bad u-joint? Thanks for the help
Old 08-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Elusive
When I replaced my belt, it would squeal when i ran the ac and lights at the same time. I just shut it off added a little more belt tension then restarted it to see if it still slipped. I did this a few times until the slipping quit. I went this route to make sure i didn't over tighten the belt.
That $15 belt tension gauge will do that without guesswork. You use a torque wrench so you don't have to guess about under- or overtightening bolts. You use a belt tension gauge so you don't have to guess about belt tension.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 AM

I was equating the clicking to the "blower" turning on and off.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blower (electric fan) turns on and off with the a/c compressor. As I alsready mentioned that means too little refrigerant in the a/c circuit.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by michaelo
The blower (electric fan) turns on and off with the a/c compressor.
Not in all years. In 2000 Chrysler changed it so that the electric fan does NOT come on automatically with the AC. Instead, the electric fan comes on when the pressure in the AC high side reaches between 280 and 320 psi.

OP didn't specify when year he has, so you can't say that the fan will or will not come on with the AC.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Not in all years. In 2000 Chrysler changed it so that the electric fan does NOT come on automatically with the AC. Instead, the electric fan comes on when the pressure in the AC high side reaches between 280 and 320 psi.

OP didn't specify when year he has, so you can't say that the fan will or will not come on with the AC.
When The ac is low on charge it can cause a spike in pressure which is why it shuts off. that spike in pressure could be enough to trigger the fan on later models.