Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Been working on the XJ, work done and have a few questions that I can't figure out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Been working on the XJ, work done and have a few questions that I can't figure out.

If you want a good read then read on, if you want to help with a few problems just scroll down to the big letters..
For those who don't know.
Bought a 99XJ about a month ago for $1300 with 200k on the clock.
Things done so far...ready for this list?
Gunked the **** outta that nasty motor, need to do the bottom half one day soon.
New alternator and battery
exhaust and hangers are new
front axle U-joints, hubs rotors and pads.
changed the back drums and pads
Changed the CPS so far so good, it died 2x on me in 500 miles..fingers crossed that was the fix.
changed the TPS..had a code for that and something with the tranny hope they are both gone now.
CEL either burned out lol or is disconnected..I'll get to that soon.
New Sensa-Trac shocks
bought a set of used rims and put grabber2's on them in 235 15 size..new lug nuts too.
fixed that annoying 4x4 shifter rattle with the TSB kit yesterday..WOW it is quiet in there now!
Changed the front pinion seal and fluid in both diffs also took the rear drive shaft out and changed those U-joints and greased the slip, no more *** up *** down when stopping and taking off anymore.
had the driver seat welded back to new..almost fell into the back seat the first time I got in for a test drive.
Fixed the pass side window not working with a new switch, changed the driver side door panel and switch so now the mirrors work also.
Added window rain vent covers(a XJ must lol)
put in the H4 bulbs and headlights..noticeable difference..wiring upgrade soon
fixed the leaking thermostat housing cover.
put a new fan shroud cover on it.. I now see why people break them off and should have left it but I love having all my fingers
sealed the leaking aftermarket broken sunroof that leaked like a siv!
got rid of the smelly dog smell from said leaking sunroof.
threw out that tiny spare and have a full size and got a full size cover for it.
I need to change the rear leafs and all the hardware, they are shot and are bent past straight at the moment but $$ is now low and need to fix some things around the house
Also have lower oil leak(just 1 drip a day but I have the rear main seal, pan gasket, valve cover gasket and oil pump 3 seals)
Have a new remote door , alarm auto start ready to install.
also a new radio coming with blue tooth and sd card reader.. I hate cd's http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-P9695B.html

Thank you to this forum for making all of this an easier task with all the writeup's, where & what to buy or use and help with questions.

Now for my issues
, when I take off and give it a good goose of the pedal it makes a funny shake(vibration) for a second or two, more noticeable in reverse..any idea what that can be?
I think the tranny mount is ok but it seems hard to check without taking it down, don't want to unless I have to. I have a new mount in the garage in case.
I have the knock that goes away when it warms up which I think is the flywheel(have a new one in the garage for whenever it is needed)I checked the TC bolts and all 4 are tight.
How do you get the bolt out for the inspection plate without removing the exhaust??? stupid design.
I have a bang-thump in the back and don't know if it is the rear door, I changed the bump stops and it is still there..ideas?

I think that is it for now so if you have any help comments or questions feel free to jump right in.
thanks for looking and I really like having my first Jeep!

and here is a pic from a couple weeks ago.. I painted the rims silver.

Last edited by Scott_Sport99; 09-21-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

vibes are most likely U-joints in the rear driveshaft, the vibe being worse in reverse is a give away...
describe the knock... it's temperature related if it goes away after warmup, which makes me think exhaust mani leak or something along those lines..
bang thump in rear is upper bar pin mounts on your rear shocks. new shock and some JKS bar pin eliminators will correct this.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man! You have been busy on that thing! I am looking to buy my first here soon. Hopefully I can find the time to find the necessary info on here! Good looking rig though! Looks nice and clean!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by tannerp89
vibes are most likely U-joints in the rear driveshaft, the vibe being worse in reverse is a give away...
describe the knock... it's temperature related if it goes away after warmup, which makes me think exhaust mani leak or something along those lines..
bang thump in rear is upper bar pin mounts on your rear shocks. new shock and some JKS bar pin eliminators will correct this.
u joints are new.
shocks are new and so are upper the bolts(had the noise before I did the shocks and back door bumpstops.. are you talking about the lower bolts?
I do have a cracked exhaust manifold (where the 2 pipes meet at the collector)but the sound was not there for 500 miles until my friend jumped on the gas one night.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by raven1911
Man! You have been busy on that thing! I am looking to buy my first here soon. Hopefully I can find the time to find the necessary info on here! Good looking rig though! Looks nice and clean!
busy is an understatement. My G/F said I can F the jeep lol
Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

Originally Posted by Scott_Sport99
u joints are new.
shocks are new and so are upper the bolts(had the noise before I did the shocks and back door bumpstops.. are you talking about the lower bolts?
I do have a cracked exhaust manifold (where the 2 pipes meet at the collector)but the sound was not there for 500 miles until my friend jumped on the gas one night.
hmmm... it's probably tranny mount. just give it a good look see with a flashlight, you'll be able to tell. also check motor mounts.

no I meant the uppers, but you replaced em'... so I dunno lol

I'd fix the exhaust mani and see if it fixs it... if not i'm leaning towards rod or bearing knock.. is it a fast knock or kinda slow ( like tick tick tick or tick...tick...tick..)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

The knock in the rear is probably the same as mine was, the muffler and tailpipe were moving and gitting the shackle mount and tank due o a bad hanger
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

congrats on the jeep great job so far! I agree with other posters, check rear ujoints , exhaust hitting shackles etc...a slight egine noise may be exhaust but could also be the nature of the beast....i haven't had a quiet 4.0 yet lol....love the color...
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nor-CalJeeper
The knock in the rear is probably the same as mine was, the muffler and tailpipe were moving and gitting the shackle mount and tank due o a bad hanger
exhaust and hangers are new also..forgot them
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by captainwoot
congrats on the jeep great job so far! I agree with other posters, check rear ujoints , exhaust hitting shackles etc...a slight egine noise may be exhaust but could also be the nature of the beast....i haven't had a quiet 4.0 yet lol....love the color...
The Grape Ape!
rear u's are new. exhaust and hangers are new, I will look to see if it hits anything but I hit the exhaust around hard to see if it was(is) that but no dice last try.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM

any other ideas?
Also, how do you get the bolt out for the inspection cover? exhaust has to come down or is there a trick to it?