Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Balljoint up and down movement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Balljoint up and down movement.

Brought the xj into Belle Tire for some new tires, because it turns out Goodyear Wrangler radials are next to useless in the snow and slushy weather. They refused to mount new tires because three out of four ball joints are "dangerously worn" I thought this was bull crap because the shop I usually take it to just inspected the front end a few days ago and said everything was tight. I tested them myself and the only thing I noticed was maybe 1/32, 1/16 inch max of up and down movement. There was no side to side movement, or front to rear movement, they felt good when I was prying them with my pry bar and they were not making any noise. Am I correct in assuming that a small amount of up and down movement is normal?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That sounds like they are on the loose side . mine moved less then that and once changed you could feel the difference and a noise i had in the front end is gone . when you change them made sure you get some good one that you can grease so they will live long . I used Mevotech's Terrain Tough ball joints from Rock auto they have been working good so far .
Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

How do you grease lower ball joints? The driveshaft is in the way of a fitting. I bought 2wd ones, greased them once, took the fittings out and installed the driveshafts. They didn't last any longer than sealed ones.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by kbeam418
Brought the xj into Belle Tire for some new tires, because it turns out Goodyear Wrangler radials are next to useless in the snow and slushy weather. They refused to mount new tires because three out of four ball joints are "dangerously worn" I thought this was bull crap because the shop I usually take it to just inspected the front end a few days ago and said everything was tight. I tested them myself and the only thing I noticed was maybe 1/32, 1/16 inch max of up and down movement. There was no side to side movement, or front to rear movement, they felt good when I was prying them with my pry bar and they were not making any noise. Am I correct in assuming that a small amount of up and down movement is normal?
Yes, Wrangler radials are pretty useless. Had them on for a while while waiting to make my more permanent choice for tires.

Your steering knuckle ball joints should have no play on the vertical axis. The shop folk probably saw your existing tires and noticed some amount of uneven wear (just a small amount could have clued them in), which would have lead to closer scrutiny of the ball joints. Perhaps the first shop just didn't get so into it. The 2nd shop doesn't want you returning in 3 months demanding replacements under warranty because the tires are unevenly worn. Whether or not they are being too picky, I can't say.

Let's ask the question from another angle. How many miles are on your current ball joints?

Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Mine have 90 degree fitting on the lower and it does clear the drive shaft .
Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Yes, Wrangler radials are pretty useless. Had them on for a while while waiting to make my more permanent choice for tires.

Your steering knuckle ball joints should have no play on the vertical axis. The shop folk probably saw your existing tires and noticed some amount of uneven wear (just a small amount could have clued them in), which would have lead to closer scrutiny of the ball joints. Perhaps the first shop just didn't get so into it. The 2nd shop doesn't want you returning in 3 months demanding replacements under warranty because the tires are unevenly worn. Whether or not they are being too picky, I can't say.

Let's ask the question from another angle. How many miles are on your current ball joints?
I rechecked them and compared them to videos on youtube, there's basically zero movement on mine, the rims are not moving I think what I'm seeing is the axle itself moving. This is the same shop that couldn't find a loose track bar so I take their opinions with a grain of salt. My primary shop (Auto Connection in case anybody lives in Toledo Ohio) does just suspension and brakes and has been in the business for around 30 years. Lowers look new, uppers look original.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

If your check is proper, and you trust your own judgement, then find another shop willing to sell you tires. Shouldn't be too tough. Did they sell you the new tires (you paid for them) and THEN told you they couldn't mount them without a bunch of additional/work money changing hands?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
If your check is proper, and you trust your own judgement, then find another shop willing to sell you tires. Shouldn't be too tough. Did they sell you the new tires (you paid for them) and THEN told you they couldn't mount them without a bunch of additional/work money changing hands?
Sort of a long story; but I brought it in because it's awful in the rain the salesman (claims he used to be a tech) test drove it with me and said the steering is vague (it's a Jeep not a Cadillac what do you expect) and suggested an alignment. They refused to do the alignment because of the "bad" ball joints, I asked them to just put new tires on and I'll get the ball joints replaced on later date. They said bring it in when I fix the ball joints they're not going to mount them. They did let me know the alignment is good. My Jeep drives great on dry roads doesn't pull and tracks straight. The only issue I have is an odd "clunk clunk clunk" that goes away after half a block. I've also got a very subtle thud sound coming from the front end, might just be a loose bolt on one of the new shocks.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by tech
Mine have 90 degree fitting on the lower and it does clear the drive shaft .
Okay, you see I'm working with a WJ with CV axle joints. There ain't no room there! Sorry.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

If you can find someone to mount and balance your tires, buy them at <a href="https://www.cherokeeforum.com/simpletire.com">simpletire.com</a>. They will sell you anything you want without asking what they are going on, and ship them to any address. No questions asked. I just bought 4 235/75R15 Cooper Discoverer AT3's and shipped them to my buddy's shop. I got them in 4 days. They are the new 4S-rated ones that are a little stiffer than the P-rated load range B ones, but not a stiff as the load range E rated 10 ply LT's. $534 plus shipping and the road hazard warrantee. I think the whole thing came to $589. Dunn Tire wouldn't mount that size tire on my XJ, nor on my Soft 8 rims. They wouldn't even sell them on a "carry-out" basis.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-19-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123
Okay, you see I'm working with a WJ with CV axle joints. There ain't no room there! Sorry.
Sorry I didn't see that you where working on a WJ in a XJ forum , again sorry .
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
If you can find someone to mount and balance your tires, buy them at <a href="https://www.cherokeeforum.com/simpletire.com">simpletire.com</a>. They will sell you anything you want without asking what they are going on, and ship them to any address. No questions asked. I just bought 4 235/75R15 Cooper Discoverer AT3's and shipped them to my buddy's shop. I got them in 4 days. They are the new 4S-rated ones that are a little stiffer than the P-rated load range B ones, but not a stiff as the load range E rated 10 ply LT's. $534 plus shipping and the road hazard warrantee. I think the whole thing came to $589. Dunn Tire wouldn't mount that size tire on my XJ, nor on my Soft 8 rims. They wouldn't even sell them on a "carry-out" basis.
That's what I'm thinking about doing, there's a local used tire place that charges $20 to mount and balance tires no questions asked. Found a video that shows exactly how my ball joints are what's your' opinion?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by tech
Sorry I didn't see that you where working on a WJ in a XJ forum , again sorry .
Don't be sorry. I own both and the XJ is new to me. Never had one before either.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

When talking about ball joints, the lower one takes all the weight of the vehicle and the upper one just guides the spindle and keeps it located. There should not be any vertical motion in the lower one, but the upper one has motion built into it to compensate for temperature changes. I freaked out when we removed the lower one and the upper one had a lot of travel in it. That's normal, I'm told.