Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ball Joint Confusion - 2000 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Ball Joint Confusion - 2000 XJ

Long term lurker here. I've done ball joints on other vehicles but this is somehow the first time I've done them on a Jeep. I used fairly cheap, supposedly Timkin, joints that are on Amazon that are listed for all XJs and other people seem to have been able to use them going by the reviews but... How hard should it be to turn the steering knuckle once you've installed new ball joints? I know some older steering knuckles take a pre load spacer but this is on a 2000. It's extremely hard to turn the knuckle compared to what I'm seeing in videos online. I had problems on both sides getting the upper spindle to not turn while trying to tighten the nut down to the required torque even when the lower was fully torqued on. I've tried taking it off a couple of times, tapping the ball joint housings to see if they seated incorrectly, etc. I'm 99% certain I pressed them in correctly with no damage since the nuts thread fine and I can turn them and the spindle, albeit stiff, with a socket on the nut without the steering knuckle installed. I did have to use the C press to put slight pressure between the upper steering knuckle mount and the axle arm to get the nut to stop spinning.

After doing a lot more reading I'm hearing that they were able to ditch the preload spacers by using an upper ball joint with a slip joint built into it... Which kind of sounds like my problem. But then, how do I tell if the ball joint I'm ordering is the right one? These upper ball joints seem to have zero up and down movement in the spindle. Most of them say they're for 84-01. I was laid off a few weeks ago so I don't really have the option of going out and buying several sets of Moog/Spicer ball joints to see if they do any better and get stuck with them because I "installed" the part. These only need to get me through until the summer. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ColonelColt; 03-15-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:05 PM

I'm surprised absolutely no one has input on this. We all have to change our ball joints at some point.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Do you have a link to the ball joints you used?

Any pictures?

It shouldn't be that difficult to turn the knuckles. If I remember correctly, I could push mine around with my hands.

How tough is it to turn yours? Do you need to whack it with a hammer to get movement?

I didn't get any spinning of the studs when I tightened the castle nuts. I am wondering if you got the wrong joints. I used the Spicer brand, $55 each side.

Last edited by OldTires; 03-16-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Below is a link to the ball joints I originally purchased. They're really cheap but they were just to get by the inspection until summer when I'm planning on rebuilding the axles. The description says they fit 1990-2001 Cherokees and some people in the reviews mention using them but you always have to wonder if those people just thought they were supposed to be stiff. I could barely turn my steering knuckle with a 30 inch wrecking bar through the eye. I went ahead and ordered two sets of Spicer ball joints that are supposed to be the OEM for Dana axles. They certainly seem to be better made and as soon as I get the cheap ones out I'm going to be doing some measurements of the spindles comparing them.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 PM

That sucks that you had to waste the money on the cheap set. Just make sure there is nothing wrong with the knuckles that would keep them from turning - probably not, but worth checking before installing.

If I remember correctly, only the lower joint should have limited movement.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM

I stopped at the dealership to ask about which set of ball joints to use on a 2000 and the guy showed me a set in a bag that looks exactly like the Spicers I ordered except they're $200 for one side if I was understand right. Obviously cheaper online. I'm about to go try to install and see what happens.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 6 cylinder

Holy Smokes! 4 ball joints for $34.35

I have a hard time believing they're genuine Timkens!
Falls under the category, 'you get what you pay for'

FWIW, i just ordered 4 XRF ball joints for $140 total all with grease fittings. They're supposed to have a million mile warranty if you can believe that.
Time will tell if they're any good. Haven't installed them yet.

I was also gonna order Spicers, but the lowers don't have grease fittings.
I could be wrong but i think Spicer makes OEM joints for Chrysler.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:42 PM

The little extra money on the ball joints is good peace of mind considering they hold your front wheel assemblies in place.

I remember trying to cut off the stud cause the knuckle was stuck - after 2 sawzall metal blades barely chewed into the stud metal, I gave up and went back to beating the knuckle until it eventually came off.

Last edited by OldTires; 03-21-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm doing my ball joints in the next few weeks. I'm ordering the Heavy Duty ones from Crown Automotive.

Hopefully my install goes more smoothly than yours.
I'm pulling for you. Let us know how it shakes out. Show us pics comparing the different ball joints.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you posted are not spicer ball joints dude. of course the ball joints he showed you "looked the same", there's not 10 ways of designing a ball joint. 35$ for BOTH sides is a big red flag in my book, you got exactly what you paid for.

here are the ones i buy from rockauto, which are actual spicers. in $CAD it runs me 75$ each side, probably a bit less in USD.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....900530&jsn=254