Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Badly in need of HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Badly in need of HELP!!!

New plugs after running for 5 Minutes!
I purchased a 1986 Jeep Charokee 2.5 L TBI with automatic trans which has turned into a nightmare!
I pulled the motor after finding out the person lied to me about its problem! I had the motor rebuilt my a professional engine builder and I put it back into into the Jeep, when I cranked it over and it started it ran very Rich and seemed to be missing fouling the new spark plugs I installed. So I started replacing sensors, MAP, Coolant, EGR seloind, ICM and as of now the only thing I have not replaced is the ECU and MAT sensor! It is still running RICH and I am to the point where I am about to give up, you can’t adjust anything on these things only the plug gap! What could be the problem??????
Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the site Mshaney1!

Have you checked the Injectors?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Absolutely, positively start with testing your fuel pressure and comparing it to what the factory spec is. For this engine, I'm not sure what that pressure should be.

With a rich run like yours, you gotta start with fuel pressure testing and I didn't see any notes that you have done that yet. You could have something like a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm or who knows?

But let "testing" be your guide. Don't throw any more parts at it! And have you checked with that engine builder of yours for ideas? Definitely do that; you've invested a bunch of coin into this motor and that shop should be more than willing to help you a bit with this.

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-10-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie

i have and since its aTBI, I rebuilt the throttle body and installed a new regulator diafram and a new injector! Still no luck!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Absolutely, positively start with testing your fuel pressure and comparing it to what the factory spec is. For this engine, I'm not sure what that pressure should be.

With a rich run like yours, you gotta start with fuel pressure testing and I didn't see any notes that you have done that yet. You could have something like a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm or who knows?

But let "testing" be your guide. Don't throw any more parts at it! And have you checked with that engine builder of yours for ideas? Definitely do that; you've invested a bunch of coin into this motor and that shop should be more than willing to help you a bit with this.

thank you for the reply!!
I have rebuilt the throttle body and installed a new diaphragm, but I can not remove the Allen plug from the test port it’s like it was supper glued in and I don’t want to screw up the body it self! The pressure is suppose to be between 14-15 psi!