Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Axle Seal/Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Axle Seal/Bearing

('98 Cherokee, 5 Speed, Sport, 8.25)

Hey all - I have been doing some reading on replacing a rear axle seal and had a few questions. Is it worth replacing the bearing at the same time, and should I do both sides? Only the driver side is leaking, which I think is from a small fender bender I was in back in January. (The rear wheel was hit at low speeds from someone sliding in snow, and it's only a guess it's from that) Also, has anyone seen any wear issues on the axles after 20 years (grooving, marring) of any kind that could be causing the seal to leak? I just want to be prepared when I get in there.

From what I have read, this doesn't seem to be too big of a job. I'm not a noob mechanically, but I will admit that diving into the diff to remove the pinion bold, pin and c-clips does make me nervous. haha.

Thanks any and all advice.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

if you're talking about the rear seals and bearings, you should do both sides at the same time since you're doing all the job in order to get to it (draining fluid, removing center pin, c clips, etc.) and the parts are also cheap, i'd understand if it was the front and you don't want to spend another 100$ for a single bearing.

as for the bearings, i'd say go for it. you don't need any fancy tools to press them on (a big socket and hammer will do the job) but you will need to get a puller in order to remove them. most auto parts store will rent them for free. i'm in the same boat and though about only doing the seals, but bearings are 10$ a piece, hard to say no.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 AM

Cane - that's exactly how I was looking at it... why not replace them for such a low cost. I called a local shop and they said to leave them alone if the axle isn't moving and showing signs of wear. well, of course a shop would because that would be 1 more trip back to them later down the road in order to spend more money. haha. can't learn if I don't do it on my own so I am gonna go for it.

I just hope there aren't any axle issues itself causing the leak.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

They are simple to replace, it's just a bit annoying going through the whole process of pulling the shafts.

Protip: replace the center pin immediately after you remove the c-clips, so your spider gears and thrust washers don't decide to bail into the oil pan should the diff turn for some reason.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by JK253
Protip: replace the center pin immediately after you remove the c-clips, so your spider gears and thrust washers don't decide to bail into the oil pan should the diff turn for some reason.
Perfect... these are the little things that I was hoping to find out. being hesitant to take remove anything from the diff as it is. thanks, truly.