Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AX15 whine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default AX15 whine

Hello all, I need help diagnosing a noise and choosing a rebuild kit.

My transmission (1997 Jeep AX15 5 speed) makes the noise in the video when the fluid is cold. It happens under light load at about 1750 RPM in any gear except for drive (fourth). I suspect counter shaft bearings, or input shaft bearing.

I can only describe it as a harsh, chattering whine. It is the loudest noise in this video.

You can hear it go away when I accelerate at the very end of the video.

I just drained and replaced the fluid (Redline MT-90) and didn’t find any dirt. The magnet had extremely fine metal silt attached to it, grains about 1/10 the size of sand. No chips.

I rebuilt the transmission 2 years, 40,000 miles ago. Replaced all bearings, synchros and seals. Currently 260k

What is the highest quality rebuild kit company you know of? Not going to get quadratec/morris 4x4 (crown/omix-ada) etc since that’s the one I got last time.

I can’t imagine it’s anything other than bearings or maybe even gear teeth. But do you have any ideas as to what this noise is? If I continue driving it this way I’m sure I will damage the counter shaft itself, (or the mainshaft in the case of input bearing) so I’ll probably rebuild it.

(The noise has nothing to do with my engine, throw out bearing or pilot bearing.)

Last edited by tlacombe; 11-22-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Bold important question
Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 AM

I've decided to rebuild it. Is there any difference between Crown and Omix-ADA? East Coast Gear Supply? Can anyone share their experience or make a recommendation?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I can't help much with what kit to get, but whatever you end up with let me know how it goes. Mine is making some noise and I'd like to rebuild it if it would help with the noises it makes. Also, if you wouldn't mind some pictures throughout the rebuild process would be nice. Good luck with what you end up going with!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. There is already a great rebuild post with photos out there somewhere, I used it to rebuild my transmission the first time.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Default Still looking for rebuild kit recommendations

UPDATE: I haven't done anything to the transmission except continue to drive it (to 276k). It still makes the whining noise when cold, in any gear except 4th. I've been avoiding the RPM range where the noise is produced (1500-1800 rpm) while the trans is cold.

I hope to rebuild the transmission this summer. I'd really like a kit that is carefully labeled, as my last rebuild kit came with an brass extra syncro ring and I unknowingly installed the wrong one onto 5th gear, since it has never synced properly since the rebuild.

Please, if you've had a good AX-15 rebuild experience, share the kit info!

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

So I was working with a guy who knew a lot about these transmissions and the whine in every gear but 4th is the counter shaft bearings according to him. Mine whines and has been whining and I'll get around to rebuilding it sometime
Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,068 Likes on 858 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)

Originally Posted by tlacombe
my last rebuild kit came with an brass extra syncro ring and I unknowingly installed the wrong one onto 5th gear, since it has never synced properly since the rebuild.
Thanks!
I rebuilt my AX-15 ages ago when I originally bought the MJ with a "bad clutch". I found a receipt in the glove box later showing the previous owner had replaced the clutch. I'm not sure if the dealer knew, or lied and me it needed a clutch instead of admitting they knew the synchros were shot.

Anyway, there were two different Transtar kits depending on the serial number because one of the synchros changed through the years. I think it was the 5th gear synchro. Might have been a difference in whether the reverse had a synchro? I can't vouch for longevity because the crank pilot bearing seized 30k miles later and took out the big input bearing. In hindsight, I suspect the shop that did the clutch didn't replace or damaged the pilot bearing. My fault for not going deeper and replacing the pilot bearing while I was there. Rather than rebuild again, I swapped in a low mileage 1998 AW4 I picked up for $50 (and discovered the speed sensor mismatch, but that's another story).
Old 01-12-2020, 07:59 PM

Thanks lawsoncl and SatiricalHen! I didn't know about the year split on synchros, I'll make sure I get that right. Countershaft bearings are unloaded in 4th gear so that makes sense!
Old 12-13-2022, 10:30 PM

Update: The transmission did not blow up after driving to 287k miles, always made the same noise. I just had the transmission professionally rebuilt for $2000. I do not know what kit they used, but it does not make that noise anymore and all my synchros work well. Takeaway: That noise is not normal, but is not necessarily an indication of imminent death. There exists a kit and/or method to make the trans quiet, but so far remains unknown to me. If anyone can provide any info, I'm sure many others will benefit!
The following users liked this post:
Battle (12-14-2022)