Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 went woes. All gears just disappeared.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AW4 went woes. All gears just disappeared.

This is going to be a really short of what happen because I do not know a lot about auto as I do with manuals.

I was driving home last night and I remember I was in over drive. All sudden I heard a pop sound and then my Jeep started going slower and slower. I realized what it was doing and I pulled off to the side.

I put it back in park and then put it back in drive, it does nothing at all. It same goes for all the other gears as well and I tried to see if I can front wheel drive the Jeep by using my transfer case to lock the front axle and still nothing at all. it free revs and it acts like the gears are just a ghost.

Things I've already checked for:

I checked for my linkage, it seems fine but I'm not sure how far the linkage goes in the transmission.

I checked my kick down cable to see if the cable snapped and it seems to be fine.

I checked my transmission fluid for any burn smell or discoloring. No burnt smell or discoloring. The fluid is still red like it should be.

I checked my new brake light switch I installed to see if it telling my torque convertor not to lock up and the switch is fine and in good shape.

I was wondering can a bad torque convertor cause this? It just don't make sense why would I loose all my gears at the same time.

I'm stumped and I have no idea.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I may be a noob, but it sounds like you lost your transfer case.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Finding out what that pop sound was could lead to the problem.
You could have lost fluid pressure, the tans engages based upon hydraulic pressure of the internal pump. I assume the pop was not and external cooler line failing and you have not a pool of trans blood under your rig and the fluid level is up.
During service (fluid and fiter changes) there are a couple of hard lines internal of the cover, to the rear section of the valve body, just at the rear of the filter. These lines come out of one port loop in a half circle and reenter another port of the body. I have had occasion to find them loose and drooping down. Perhaps if they came out completely under pressure there could of been a pop.
Is there any possibility the drive shaft still turns and the failure is at the rear diff??
Best to check out all the possibilities.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by alnielsen
I may be a noob, but it sounds like you lost your transfer case.
I was thinking the chain may be broke but not 100% sure of it just yet. I need to know how to check the chain. Figure it involves of cracking the TC open? Or peek through a fill hole?

I plan to jack up the front and put the TC in 4H and see if I can turn the front drive shaft. If I can turn it then I prob have a bad TC or chain..

Originally Posted by peep
Finding out what that pop sound was could lead to the problem.
You could have lost fluid pressure, the tans engages based upon hydraulic pressure of the internal pump. I assume the pop was not and external cooler line failing and you have not a pool of trans blood under your rig and the fluid level is up.
During service (fluid and fiter changes) there are a couple of hard lines internal of the cover, to the rear section of the valve body, just at the rear of the filter. These lines come out of one port loop in a half circle and reenter another port of the body. I have had occasion to find them loose and drooping down. Perhaps if they came out completely under pressure there could of been a pop.
Is there any possibility the drive shaft still turns and the failure is at the rear diff??
Best to check out all the possibilities.
There's no fluid pool under my Jeep. That another thing I didn't think of to check was my rear diff. You made a good point but if it was my rear diff, I should still be able to lock my front axle in 4H and drive off as in FWD but I can't do that at all. It doesn't matter what gear the tranny is in or what gear the TC is in, still nothing at all.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

I wouldnt think the TCase chain would effect the rear shaft being driven. You can feel the tcase chain thru the fill port of the tcase and see it thru the drain port. When the trans is in gear can you rotate the drive shaft ( jack rear up). Is the trans output shaft, short shaft failed? Be very careful when inspecting if you plan to have power being applied, if these shafts engage they have tremendous power.
Do the trouble shooting without power if you plan to be in contact with any parts.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L H.O Power Tech

Good luck man.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by peep
I wouldnt think the TCase chain would effect the rear shaft being driven. You can feel the tcase chain thru the fill port of the tcase and see it thru the drain port. When the trans is in gear can you rotate the drive shaft ( jack rear up). Is the trans output shaft, short shaft failed? Be very careful when inspecting if you plan to have power being applied, if these shafts engage they have tremendous power.
Do the trouble shooting without power if you plan to be in contact with any parts.
I'll give this a try tomorrow. Should I try to rotate it while it's in P? When the gear is in P it does not roll away though. Something to keep in mind.