Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 Transmisson Whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default AW4 Transmisson Whine

Over the past year or so, I've had some issues with my transmission (2000 XJ, 4.0 Litre). Almost a year ago, on my way home from work, I was having issues shifting and getting in gear after a red light, drove home in between 1st and 2nd (barely), until I got to my house about a mile away and found out I'd blown the the one of the transmission cooler lines.

Had that fixed, only thing I could notice was later shifting but not horrible. Guy that fixed it said the fluid looked like mud, as if it had never been serviced. Then I took my girlfriend out driving one day and she had her hand on the shifter, threw the car into reverse going about 40 MPH . It stalled the engine, pulled it over, let it sit for a minute or two, started it back up and it drove so I didn't think much after that.

Ever since then, shifts between gears happen a lot later (around 2600-2700 rpm), if I let off the gas at around 30-35 mph and give it gas shortly after, it'll jump from 1100 rpm (coasting) to around 1600-1700 rpm before catching 2nd or 3rd, i'm not positive which one its in at that point. Also there's a horrible whine coming from either the transmission or torque converter in idle and while in drive. Here's a link for a video I recorded of it while in idle just giving it a little gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASH...ature=youtu.be

Does it seem like its the transmission or torque converter?
The whine makes me think its the turbine in the converter.
Is a torque converter replacement cheaper than a transmission replacement?
Should I just replace everything? (transmission and converter)