Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 extended shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AW4 extended shift problem

Hey guys I could really use a bit of help. I am new to , but I have searched the forums for the past month trying to find a thread on my problem to no avail. So here goes. I have a 1993 cherokee 4.0 AW4 sport that started life as grandma's 2WD daily driver. After purchasing the jeep I purchased a donor 2000 cherokee so I could use the axles transmission and NP231 transfer case. I wanted to go ahead and have the "new" transmission rebuilt so I sent it to a local transmission shop to have it rebuilt. After installing it Trans shifts excellent when it is cold, but when warms up 1st to 2nd shifts at 4100rpm the hotter it gets the longer it takes to shift. To try and correct the issue I have : R&R the radiator(incase cooler was clogged), added another Trans cooler, Replaced the valve body with a known good unit, replaced the 2 shift solenoids, and replaced the TPS. I can turn the TCU off and shift manually until it gets to hot, then the transmission will stay stuck in 2nd and 3rd. If you guys could help me out I'd love you forever. The transmission guys are stumped....... Thanks
Old 06-20-2016, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The transmission guys need to make it right, even if it means replacing it. I assume they took your money?
There are three solenoids. Are you sure you replaced #1 and #2?
How hot is the transmission getting?
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM

I'm fairly certain that I replaced the one and two solenoid, well they were the ones own the side of the valve body. Plus I checked all 3s resistance and they tested good. Here's the deal with the transmission guys, I supplied all the parts, so no warranty.... :\ kind of crappy...
Old 06-20-2016, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Matthew Cotten
Hey guys I could really use a bit of help. I am new to , but I have searched the forums for the past month trying to find a thread on my problem to no avail. So here goes. I have a 1993 cherokee 4.0 AW4 sport that started life as grandma's 2WD daily driver. After purchasing the jeep I purchased a donor 2000 cherokee so I could use the axles transmission and NP231 transfer case. I wanted to go ahead and have the "new" transmission rebuilt so I sent it to a local transmission shop to have it rebuilt. After installing it Trans shifts excellent when it is cold, but when warms up 1st to 2nd shifts at 4100rpm the hotter it gets the longer it takes to shift. To try and correct the issue I have : R&R the radiator(incase cooler was clogged), added another Trans cooler, Replaced the valve body with a known good unit, replaced the 2 shift solenoids, and replaced the TPS. I can turn the TCU off and shift manually until it gets to hot, then the transmission will stay stuck in 2nd and 3rd. If you guys could help me out I'd love you forever. The transmission guys are stumped....... Thanks

Are you saying you put a 2000 AW4 in a 1993 XJ? As you know the '98 & up AW4 was different than previous years in that they had a transmission input speed sensor as well as an output speed sensor, both of which are different than the previous years.

How did you adapt the '93 transmission output speed sensor to the 2000 transmission TC adaptor.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Are you saying you put a 2000 AW4 in a 1993 XJ? As you know the '98 & up AW4 was different than previous years in that they had a transmission input speed sensor as well as an output speed sensor, both of which are different than the previous years.

How did you adapt the '93 transmission
output speed sensor to the 2000 transmission TC adaptor.
The input shaft speed sensor was only installed on the newer models to help obd2 vehicles more easily identify transmission slipping issues. Now the output shaft sensor on the other hand it does matter, but the only difference is the type of sensor and the reluctor that is on the output shaft itself.
To keep things simple I used the reluctor from the old transmission and the old output shaft speed sensor. Iam 100% certain that this is a pressure issue.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Seems trans guy should warranty his labor, regardless of who supplied the parts.
Just what did you rebuild if you didn't do servos at same time?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How hot is the trans getting? If the cooler isn't working (crushed lines), you'll have issues when it heats up.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:16 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

-Take transmission back to the transmission shop.
-Tell them to give you a full refund PLUS the cost of another transmission from the junk yard.
-Install transmission from said junkyard
-Drain fluid from transmission and fill with DEX/MERC
-Repeat above step until fluid runs red

Seriously man, the AW4 is a pretty reliable transmission. The old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." specifically applies to the AW4. You'd have been much better off to at least ATTEMPT to use the transmission to verify its condition before having it rebuilt.

Case in point, I just did the same conversion on my Jeep using the drivetrain out of a '96. I was told the transmission was burnt up. Turns out, it needed a fluid change and a new TCU and all was well. I've been running with that transmission in my Jeep now since February without any issue.